Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Won't take breast milk from sippy.

Question Won't take breast milk from sippy.

My daughter is 14.5 months. I am a teacher and so we had gotten used to a morning and night schedule which has worked well. Problem is trying to switch her from bottle to sippy during the day. When she goes back to daycare in the fall she won't be able to use a bottle. Also she will have to drink regular milk there but I want her to continue having my breastmilk as long as possible. Any tips or ideas for how to get her to take it out of a sippy? We have tried different sippy spouts, but she's just not a fan. She drinks everything else out of a straw or sippy cup but she apparently believes that breastmilk should only come from a bottle or boob. She will drink a few drinks and then be done with it, but if it goes in a bottle, she will chug it happily. HELP! I know some people say that some kids just don't drink much milk, but she loves it, just not in a sippy. I want her to get enough milk. Does anyone else give cows milk during day then breast milk at night? That is what we will have to do in August.

Default Re: Won't take breast milk from sippy.

First I would suggest to not stress out about this. Fall is 3 months away, and what your child will or won't drink or what they will or won't drink from is likely to change in that time, one way or another!

Are you OK with your child having cow milk or would you prefer she not? Because while of course she can have cow milk at day care and still get breastmilk when with you, milk drinking should not, in my opinion, be a requirement of attending day care. Why? If you do not want her to have cows milk, can you ask the day care to give her water or whatever you would feel comfortable with? Personally I also question the no bottle rule....if you are OK with your child still having a bottle, what is their issue with it? I personally have nothing against cow milk for kids over a year, but many parents do, and I do have a problem with day care providers that dictate to parents what their children will eat/drink if it is against the parents wishes.

Meg has great advice.

You can still nurse at home at night and on the weekends. You'll still make milk. My daughter wouldn't take ebm in a sippy either. The soft spout sippies are what got her to use sippy cups. They also have no-spill cups with straws.

As long as your daughter nurses 4-6X a day, you don't need to worry about milk for nutrition.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Does she HAVE to drink cow's milk while at daycare? I'd think what milk she was getting from you would be enough, and they could give her water, or watered down juice, especially if she will drink that from a sippy.
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.
    Vyse, born April 17, 2013. 7lbs 3oz at birth, and absolutely perfect.
    Spending alot of time and .

Have you tried an open cup? My son started preferring an open cup at that age.

But I agree, if your daughter nurses enough while she is with you, then water will be just fine at daycare.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

So I guess she doesn't have to drink cows milk, but she can't have breastmilk at day care when she goes back because she will be in the tod's room(18+) months and they all drink and eat at a table so no 100% way to stop a kid from drinking out of another's. She can just have water which she loves. My guess is that she gets somewhere between 4-5 ounces most when nursing fom me in morning and again at night totaling maybe 10 ounces. According to ped, should have anywhere between 16-24 ounces with 24 being max. I want to make sure that she gets enough milk. Also for now during the summer, I have a ton of milk that I would like her to use up during the day when we aren't nursing. Our ped suggested getting rid of the bottle by about 15 months because of teeth and stuff. Lo has 12 teeth already. So that is why I was looking for tips on getting her to switch off of the bottle. Previously she would have 3-4 bottles a day at day care drinking 3-5 ounces at a time. (never has drank much at a time). I sometimes nurse for naps now that I am home but that still leaves 2-3 other times that she is used to having a bottle. Maybe I need to adjust her food/milk schedule now that she is over 1 now. Btw, thank you ladies so much. I am glad I found these boards because when trying to find help from other sources, everyone just assumes that over a year they should be on cows milk, not breast milk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ginnmae View Post
    My guess is that she gets somewhere between 4-5 ounces most when nursing fom me in morning and again at night totaling maybe 10 ounces.
    I think you would want to sneak in at least one more nursing session (or two if possible), if you only nurse 2x a day and she only gets water at daycare.

According to ped, should have anywhere between 16-24 ounces with 24 being max.
    I think that 24 maximum is for cow's milk because it irritates the intestinal tract and cause bleeding. That is not an issue with breast milk.

Previously she would have 3-4 bottles a day at day care drinking 3-5 ounces at a time. (never has drank much at a time). I sometimes nurse for naps now that I am home but that still leaves 2-3 other times that she is used to having a bottle.
    What if you just nurse her whenver she wants her milk and drop the bottles altogether now that you are home? I teach as well and my son only ever got bottles when I was not around. So winter, spring, summer breaks he only nurses - no bottles (way too much trouble!). He chose to give up bottles after the break last summer and had no problems taking his milk from a sippy cup. So if you nurse on demand and offer small amounts of breast milk in a cup only on occasion, then maybe she would transition to the cup a little easier.

Also for now during the summer, I have a ton of milk that I would like her to use up during the day when we aren't nursing.
    You can cook with your milk if you want to use it up, but don't want to bother with bottles.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

My son won't drink EBM from a bottle or a sippy, or cow's milk. At the moment he is still nursing enough that it doesn't matter. My understanding is, however, that they don't need to have cow's milk at all if they are getting the same nutrients from other sources, which can be sufficient servings of other dairy products like yogurt and cheese, or milk in cereal (my son is happy to have cow's milk in cereal, oatmeal etc, just has something against it in a cup). I still offer it to him from time to time, sometimes cold, sometimes warm, but if he cuts down on his nursing (or has to when I am working again), and still isn't interested, I'm planning to just make sure he gets enough calcium, protein, etc from other sources. So, maybe as others have suggested she can have something else at daycare.

I think I've also read the maximum for cow's milk is because of problems with iron absorption that can come from having too much.

The suggestion of that much cow milk daily is a general, society wide reccomendation that is due to the concern some children will not get enough of certain nutritional needs met without it. Whole cow's milk is high in fat and calories and has things like vitamin D added to it, so it's used as a nutritional basis to make sure kids get a certain basic amount of nutrition even if they are not being fed properly/not eating very well otherwise. Again, nothing aganst cow milk, but that is not a hard and fast rule it depends on what else your child eats, if you give your child vitamins, etc, and also if you are still breastfeeding. I think the rule of thumb if you want your toddler to have only breastmilk instead of cow milk is that nursing 4 times a day covers the typical dairy directive.

I am not too up on this but my understanding is that baby being put to sleep with a bottle in thier mouth is the problem as far as teeth decay, not a bottle given when the child is awake. Don't quote me on this though.

If they have a rule about no breastmilk at the day care for toddlers, you can use your pumped stash to cook, bake, make smoothies, popsicles, etc for your child, which would also allow your child to have more of your breastmilk overall.