Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPing and Need HELP!

Default EPing and Need HELP!

The issue that I'm having is lately my nipples are super sensitive and itchy. The itching usually stops a few min after pumping and I have a red "ring" around my nipples.
    I bought the next size up in breast shields (30mm) and that didn't seem to help. I also thought it could be Thrush but I don't have any shooting pains.... I was wondering if any other mothers who pump have had this issue? and what did you do?!?!

Default Re: EPing and Need HELP!

How old is your baby? What kind of pump do you have? How old is it? When did the itchy start?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I have heard this from other EP moms... EPing just really does a number on your nipples. I tried many things and slathered myself in lanolin, but I still had super sensitive nipples for quite a few months into EPing. It was just like you describe, just red, itchy, sensitive but no signs of thrush or anything like that. I didn't have the same problems when I nursed DS2, but I when I was pumping exclusively I couldn't do much to make it better. After a few months I guess my nipples just got used to it. I wish I had a better answer, but the pump really is rough on nipples.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

8 weeks old, medela pump in style adv. and its brand spankin' new. I started exclusively pumping after one week of baby being home so its been a couple of weeks ago that I noticed the itching and redness...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Samiha View Post
    I have heard this from other EP moms... EPing just really does a number on your nipples. I tried many things and slathered myself in lanolin, but I still had super sensitive nipples for quite a few months into EPing. It was just like you describe, just red, itchy, sensitive but no signs of thrush or anything like that. I didn't have the same problems when I nursed DS2, but I when I was pumping exclusively I couldn't do much to make it better. After a few months I guess my nipples just got used to it. I wish I had a better answer, but the pump really is rough on nipples.
    Sad I wish I would have tried harder to get baby to latch properly...although I'd still have to pump since I work full time. Frustrating!

Maybe try getting baby back to the breast? It is sometimes possible, even with older babies. This link may help: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Maybe try a hospital grade pump. I don't EP, but I've used both a professional and a hospital grade pump and the hospital grade is way more comfortable. I think that's what you really if you are going to EP.

It may not be too late to get your baby to breastfeed if you're up to the task. Breastfeeding is hard in the short term, but gets much, much easier after awhile.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kjar View Post
    Sad I wish I would have tried harder to get baby to latch properly...although I'd still have to pump since I work full time. Frustrating!
    Maybe it is still possible? I didn't have the same issues when I pumped at work a few times a day, only when I was pumping so much when I was EPing. I think it makes a difference.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

i think it would be great for you to get to an IBCLC who might help you get baby back to the breast.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Get the next size up and get baby to the breast. Seriously, it is MUCH easier to pump PT than FT. Really. It will stink to come home from work, want to sit down with baby, but you can't because it is time to pump. BTDT. That made me cry. Because my baby was in the other room crying for ME.

What made you decide to EP? Maybe we can help trouble shoot that for you.

Might not hurt to treat for thrush.

I was in PAIN from EPing for about 9 months. Yep. NINE. And I had 2 IBCLCs helping me. I did thrush treatments. I use a hospital grade pump (BTW, you will need a hospital grade, as you will wear the PISA out in about 6 months if you EP right). But it was hellish pain. Way more pain than I ever had while breastfeeding my other three kids. And it still hurts sometimes
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!