Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: jaundice again

Question jaundice again

Sorry this is long but I need help.

My LO had jaundice right after birth (6lbs 4oz) and was put on formula for 1/2 of her feedings and EBM for the other 1/2 (she refused to nurse until 3 weeks old). We fed her with cups and an oral syringe.
    At 2 weeks she had lost more weight (5lbs, 2oz) and her doc said to begin using bottles to get her weight up and reduce her to 16oz (480mL) of formula a day and the rest is breastmilk as she was doing much better. After 1 wk on the bottle she started nursing!
    At her 4 week appt (6lbs, 9oz) they said we could stop feeding formula and just nurse her since she had finally started nursing and her jaundice was all the way gone.
    At her 6 week appt today (8lbs, 2oz) she has jaundice again. Her weight gain was much better so we are very happy but I do not understand how her jaundice could have come back. I did not ask because I was so stressed about the heel stick they gave her (she was very mad). They put her back on 16oz (480mL) of formula a day and the rest is breastmilk (mostly nursing, some pumped).

Am I not eating enough iron or something? Did I cause her jaundice to come back with my breastmilk? Is there anything I can do to help my bm be better for her?

Finally, an unrelated question...every time I feed her she poops during feeding (sometimes twice). If I change her after feeding she spits up a lot. She also gets hiccups after every feeding. Any suggestions?
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: jaundice again

Wow Mary - it's like one thing after another, huh? Gotta love newborns & breastfeeding...

I never heard of jaundice reappearing like that. I would make a call to the pediatrician tomorrow AM just to inquire how it could have occurred. Just explain that you didn't ask about it at the appointment, but you'd like to understand a bit better.

Sorry I don't have anything informative for you, but I wanted to say that I hope everything gets straightened out soon and your LO can go back to EBF again.

Good luck!!

Hi. It sounds like you're really dealing with a lot! I'm sorry, I don't have any info on jaundice, but as far as your "unrelated questions," it's totally normal for a bf newborn to poop every time she eats. When you lay her down to change her diaper it's hard for her not to spit up: Her esophogus doesn't close off like a mature esophogus does at the stomach. It's like an open chute, so when you lay her down, the milk that hasn't made it into the stomach can very easily come back up if she burps (or even if she doesn't) To minimize the possibility of spitting up, hold your LO upright for 20 minutes to a half an hour after eating. Or change that poopy diaper & don't worry about the spit up...it's only a teaspoon, probably! Last, hiccups are REALLY normal in newborns. Nothin' to worry about, and everybody has a theory on what hiccups signify. I've heard that it means they're full, that they're more likely to have acid reflux, that they're hungry, that they are tired, you name it. Hiccups are just hiccups

Ok, now hopefully someone can chime in about your real questions! Good luck and let us know what happens!

Smile Re: jaundice again

[QUOTE=Evin;81093] Hiccups are just hiccups QUOTE]

Thanks for the info about Hiccups. I am actually sitting here holding Samantha as she sleeps - watching her hiccup in her sleep.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

My 2 oldest children were jaundice but it appeared in the hospital and they were both put under the "lights" and released from the hospital and never reappeared..from what i understand My children have been jaundiced due to my blood type Im A negative and they are all O positive so my body is not recognizing their blood type and is trying to reject it.. i always received a rhogam shot at 27 weeks and after birth..but your situation i never heard of, contact your ped and ask her to explain it to you..good luck!!

my dd had jaundice she never did the light treatment or formula. The just told me to continue to feed her bm and the more she went to the bathroom the more of the billie that would go out of her system. I didnt' know that it could come back like that. Hope that your lo gets better soon.

How are things going today? Have you spoken again with the ped. about the return of the jaundice? Do you know if the hospital where you delivered has an IBCLC on staff? She might be able to give you more information on jaundice.

According to the BAB, "healthy BF babies may still show signs of jaundice at two or three weeks of age."

Did they tell you why they want you to feed her formula instead of BM? This used to be common advice from physicians, but more and more physicians are learning that this is not necessary. You may ask them exactly why they feel this is necessary. You should know that giving a formula supplement can adversely affect your milk supply. I would suggest pumping when dd misses a feed at the breast.

Another thing you might ask about are alternative treatments for the jaundice. Some doctors will prescribe phototherapy (a machine can be ordered for your home, so you can do it at home). There is also something called a "Wallaby" phototherapy unit. AKA "bili-blanket". You can hold baby while in this type of unit.

Have dd's bilirubin levels been high, or rising rapidly? You may want to clarify what her levels are and where the concern lies.

According to the BAB, "when bili levels are high at birth or in the first day or two of life, the jaundice may be related to other health problems. When bili levels rise slowly over the first 3 or 4 days, the baby probably has normal physiologic jaundice, which is usually harmless." "Jaundice rising or continuing past the first week-previously called 'late-onset' or 'breastmilk jaundice'-was once believed to be distinct from physiologic jaundice and to affect less than 4 percent of all BF newborns. Research has shown it is more common than realized. (one-third of BF newborns 2-3 weeks old being clinically jaundiced)."

The BAB goes on to state that "if baby is growing well and the mother's milk supply is adequate, the doctor may want to do tests to rule out causes of pathological jaundice. ( such as infection, intestinal obstruction or other disease). Prolonged jaundice will eventually clear on its own without interrupting BF, although it may take up to three months before the bili levels drop to adult levels. If the mother keeps BF the bili will continue to be eliminated, more quickly in some babies than others. "

My concern for you would be that due to the formula supplementation your supply is going down, and when your supply goes down you are not able to help dd eliminate the bili with your BM.

I certainly can not tell you what to do, but you may wish to dialogue some more about the treatment of dd's jaundice. You certainly have a lot to think about and I wish you well! Take care,

Smile Re: jaundice again

Thanks for all of the advice and support! We went back to the Ped Doc today to talk about the jaundice, get a weight check up and a general check up as I have just come down with a respiratory infection and I wanted to make sure I have not made her sick (see post Re: Cephalexin and Hexaflu on Newborn Challenges about the meds ). They did another heel prick to check her bilirubin levels and they are borderline for jaundice. I brought with me references stating that feeding BM can also help with the jaundice and she was receptive. She said her partner doctor, whom we saw last time, generally recommends to supplement with formula but she said nursing or feeding EBM would be fine. My LO was put on bottles at 2 weeks of age because she would not nurse and was loosing wight (now nursing ) so she said to feed some with EBM to make sure she is getting plenty to eat. Her weight was also going up so we were happy about that!

It was hard to "question" the Ped doctors but I am glad I did and the doc was not offended at all. In fact, she was pleased that I had done my homework on the topic (with the help of all of you)!