Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing positions for growing baby?

Default Nursing positions for growing baby?

My baby is almost nine (!) months old and getting to be both large and mobile. He's always nursed on a boppy in the cradle hold while laying down.

Lately he's been super squirmy while nursing (sit up! lay down! up on all fours! climb on my shoulder! etc). I'd like to try some other nursing positions to see if they help him concentrate better.

What other positions do people use with their older babies?

Thanks!
    Karin
    mom to Miles (9/7/11)

Default Re: Nursing positions for growing baby?

our favorites since about then have been sidelying, which transitioned to me flat on my back and baby sitting next to me (for near boob) or laying across me (for far boob) - this way he can waggle his butt in the air and get some squiggles out - and the calmest has been on one of those kneely desk chairs, you know the kind you sit on your shins? i sit on it backwards, with my butt on the shin part, and baby lies on the seat. he's even taken some good naps that way, which is super convenient as i can have both hands at the keyboard then. also he's now big enough that i can sit crosslegged with him in my lap. honestly, pretty soon, i think your baby is going to start determining the positions as much as you do!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

By 9 months I think I was just sitting my son in my lap or next to me and letting him position himself. It didn't help much with distractibility though. Nursing necklaces and nursing him while on the go in the Ergo were really the only things that helped me at all with that. Really though, I just had to wait it out. Around 12-13 months he became much more interested in nursing and was much less distractible.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

The distractibility is normal. There's not really a nursing position. I still use the Boppy at times with my daughter, who is 2 years and change. The best way to get them to focus is to go in quiet place to nurse. Side nursing sometimes is helpful. A quiet, dark place can also help. It's totally normal. Don't worry about it. As long as wet and dirty diapers are ok - you are golden. Just keep offering. You can also start teaching nursing manners. http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infan...ing-manners-2/

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

When they are able to self position I let them. All crazy gymnastic positions are normal and evidence that nursing a toddler is a million times different than a newborn. I did a lot of reclining and letting them sit or lounge near me and latch on as they pleased.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

When my son was 9 months old I would stay on the floor with him with my top off on my back as much as possible. It that age he was interested in using me as a jungle gym and while he was so distracted by wanting to play and explore that he would forget to eat, if my breast were exposed he would do "driveby" eating. It was time that I would have been down there interacting with him anyway. So don't think you HAVE to spend all day on the floor on your back with your boob out. But whenever I was down on the floor with him I would just go topless. Access and sight without feeling like he had to stop what he was doing allowed him to graze.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    When my son was 9 months old I would stay on the floor with him with my top off on my back as much as possible. It that age he was interested in using me as a jungle gym and while he was so distracted by wanting to play and explore that he would forget to eat, if my breast were exposed he would do "driveby" eating. It was time that I would have been down there interacting with him anyway. So don't think you HAVE to spend all day on the floor on your back with your boob out. But whenever I was down on the floor with him I would just go topless. Access and sight without feeling like he had to stop what he was doing allowed him to graze.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.