Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Purposefully inducing mild OS?

Default Purposefully inducing mild OS?

Hi, I am wondering what other experienced mamas think of this idea. My DS is now 7 months. I started pumping once daily when he was 4 weeks old and made a goal to always pump 4-6 oz more than he ate on any given day. Usually, while I was at home, he just didn't get any bottles so I would feed on demand and pump once in the morning about 4-6 oz. I've been back to work about 30 hours/week since he was 3 months old. I've always been able to pump plenty for him while I'm gone and have maintained my supply at about 6 oz/day above what he eats. I also continue to pump once per day on the weekends to keep my supply above his demand.

I feel like this mild oversupply has been a godsend for me. It hasn't caused DS any problems, he manages my let-down just fine and his stools have been normal. He's been gaining weight like a champ. I always have plenty of milk for the next day and have been able to get away with just pumping twice per day while at work. I also don't have to worry when my mom (who watches DS while I'm away) wastes a couple of ounces of milk because it can't be reheated more than once, and DS doesn't take the whole bottle, or whatever.

I see so many working mamas on this forum who are constantly worried about their supply and being able to pump enough for the next day. Who are having to pump after their babies go to bed, or even get up in the middle of the night in order to pump enough for the next day. I am SO GRATEFUL to have avoided this issue so far. I am aware that supply often drops around 9 months or so but even if my supply does drop at that point, I think I should still have enough for him given that I'm making an extra 6 oz/day right now.

So what do you think? Would this be a workable strategy for more moms, maybe even something to suggest to working moms? To pump once per day starting when baby is about a month old and purposefully maintain a slight oversupply to guard against future supply issues when they go back to work? It's worked out great for me, and I'm having a hard time seeing a downside (other than having to pump once on days off, or if the baby had trouble handling the oversupply). What do you think? Good idea or not?

Default Re: Purposefully inducing mild OS?

As long as you pump everyday at the same time, it fits in just like another feeding and isnt really over supply, IMO. I wouldn't have wanted to pump everyday when I didn't have to. It can work for some women. It's great that it worked for you. I think it depends on each mother and child.

It definitely depends. Trying to pump every day at the same time even though I didn't need to do so would be a huge hassle for me, but maybe not so much for other mothers. Also, if you are prone to plugged ducts or mastitis then it is probably not a good idea.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

i did this because i was back teaching at 4 weeks (so needed the bottles) and anticipated having to be away for interviews (3 days) in the fall/winter. after my interview (lone but successful!!) was over, i continued pumping that much and ended up donating about 500 oz, which i was happy to do. then i started keeping "real" work hours right at the same time as the 9 month slump - before i knew it existed - panicked that i wasn't making enough, and did a nursing vacation to get it back up. 6 weeks later i realized i could get away with pumping less and did. so - very useful when i needed it, and i've definitely considered doing it again for the next (hypothetical) baby.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

What time of day would you pump? And was it right before or right after nursing? I've been gathering info on pumping even though my job (personal trainer) has really flexible hours, I also coach high school soccer, and our games and practices go a little long for me to feed him before I leave and after I get home. This won't start for another 3 weeks, and my DH would only need one bottle day. I also want to do a few practice runs to make sure it'll work!
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

Brogers--I had the best luck pumping in the morning. Milk supply is usually most abundant then. I would wait about 20 minutes after feeding DS, then pump. I could usually get 4-6 oz but I think that's a bit unusual; normal pumping output is more like 2 oz per session (or less, if you just nursed recently).

How long are you going to be gone when you're coaching games/practices? If it's more than about 3 hours, you'll need to find a way to pump somewhere in there. If you're only gone for a few hours a day, you might get away with a manual hand pump. Just sneak off to the bathroom and do it there. Even 10 minutes is better than nothing. Good luck!

If it doesn't interfere with breastfeeding, and you don't have issues, it's fine. It works for some moms. Me...I hate pumping (ironic, since I EP) and an OS give me plugs. So for me, it would not work long term.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Morning as in 2 or 3am or later like 7 or 8? And do you have a manual pump recommendation?

Our practices are usually 2 hrs long, and with drive time I should be gone around 2.5 hours. My DS doesn't really have any routine down yet, so I have no idea if he'll be hungry or happy to hang out with dad. I was thinking more to be prepared for any situation. I am a little concerned about our games because 1) I'll be gone longer, and 2) I'll be gone in the evenings, which is when he likes to do his comfort nursing. Although, we won't have games for 3 more months. I like nursing him to sleep, but I also hope he'll be able to go to sleep without me there.
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

so much will be different in 3 months - you'll be ok!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Yeah I hate pumping too. I was having a little os and pumping more than needed until I hit 9 months. At this point I have rented a pump to help boost my supply and have been drinking mothers milk tea. So hopefully I boost my supply because I hate pumping at home.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11