Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should you use EBM at night when milk supply seems low?

Default Should you use EBM at night when milk supply seems low?

Between the hours of about 8pm and 12pm, my LO fusses so much at the boob, they always feel soft and I've read that your milk supply is lower at night.

Should I give her a bottle during this time just so I know she's getting enough?
    (breast milk)

I try pumping after every feed at the moment just to increase supply - although little comes out mainly drops and I drink Milk Tea to increase supply - over all my supply is great during the days but at night it seems to drop.

I'm wondering though - if I give her the bottle and pump wont I be decreasing my supply?
    The pump isn't as good as her and we've both worked hard to get the supply up but just can't seem to give her enough at night.

I fed her last night at 10.30 (well .. I say fed, more like her fussing on and off and crying, on and off ...) and put a clean nappy on her and when she woke at 2.30 to feed the nappy was still dry!

Is that a warning sign that she's definitely not getting enough and dehydrated through the night?
    She had done 9 wet diapers that day and 5 poops which is a lot for her - (poop wise!) So I know she's fine, but just this night stretch worries me.

On Kelly Mom is says to not give her a bottle .. but no wet diaper for 4 hours seems bad.

Thanks so much.

Default Re: Should you use EBM at night when milk supply seems low?

No, keep switching baby side to side. Yes, frustrating, but if you do this every night, your supply will come up to where baby is happy. I promise
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

diaper counts are always per 24 hours.

giving a bottle will reduce your supply.

evening fussies are normal. a pain, but normal. hang in there, keep nursing!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks so much, she's now 9 weeks old - shouldn't supply be regulated by now or is it still working itself out?

supply continually regulates. and evening fussies are normal past 9 weeks.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thank you ...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tanpixie View Post
    Thanks so much, she's now 9 weeks old - shouldn't supply be regulated by now or is it still working itself out?
    Supply can take a fairly long time to become established. I had oversupply until 6-7 months, but it decreased gradually over that time and was only a problem the first few months. Nurse on demand and avoid bottles as much as possible and everything will be fine.

Fussiness is not always related to supply. I had an oversupply and my baby fussed terribly in the evenings until about 5 months. There are tons of reasons for fussiness. Even fussiness for no particular reason at all is perfectly normal. All you can do is your best to provide some comfort.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Excellent advice from the PPs. I just want to add that the odd long stretch of dry diapers isn't a big deal, provided baby is having enough wet diapers in a 24 hour period.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Excellent advice from the PPs. I just want to add that the odd long stretch of dry diapers isn't a big deal, provided baby is having enough wet diapers in a 24 hour period.
    Oh thank you - I was wondering about this so glad to hear that - thanks as well to all the PP's .. this site is amazing - I"m so glad I found it!

Also, babies continue to have growth spurts past when your supply regulates. Don't let it surprise you if she decides she needs to nurse constantly and fusses sometime in the future. It's probably a growth spurt. Just let her nurse and keep switching sides.