Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low Supply or Greedy Baby?

Default Low Supply or Greedy Baby?

I'm a new Mom and im battling Baby Blues and Sleep Deprivation. My question is, my Week Old daughter just seems to have this unquenchable thirst and seems to never be satisfied or in the "Milk Coma". I put her to breast and she falls asleep after a few minutes. I tried all the "awake" techniques that my Lactation person said (stimulate hands and feet, talking to her, back massages) but she still gets a little lazy and falls off...but as soon as I put her down to sleep...she is back up and cranky sniffing around for more milk. I cant get a break. I was told about the cluster feeding phase, which I am assuming this is but in almost 10 days, my breast have only shown signs of being full ONCE. Every 10 mins i'm feeding and she's wide awake looking for more. I'm afraid to walk away from her or she'll flip out. Am I a low producer? HELP!!

Default Re: Low Supply or Greedy Baby?

What you are describing is totally normal. If diaper output is good (at least 5-6 wet diapers over 24 hours), then you are producing enough.

Here is some info on normal nursing indicators (including diaper output).

My advice is to get a sling or carrier so that you can feel free to do what you need to do while still being able to nurse and otherwise keep her happy. Baby wearing has saved my sanity since my son was born.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Output is the best indicator of supply. Is she having 6-7 wets per 25 hours? Breast fullness isn't really an indicator so much, some women never have the engorgement issue but still produce enough milk. Cluster feeding is one idea, usually during a growth spurt, but what I'm guessing is that 1. She is doing what she should biologically, and stimulating your body to make exactly what she needs (incidentally the hormones she stimulates in your body will help with the blues) and 2. Wanting to be close to you. Comfort nursing allows your baby to be near you...the only person she knows and feels safe with at this point. She just came out of a warm safe place where she could only smell, taste and hear you, so it's natural that she wants to be as close to you as possible.

As pp mentioned, baby wearing is a lifesaver! As is cosleeping safely. Good luck mama, it DOES get better, but we have all been where you are with our babies. I can tell you that if you power through this, don't feel that you need to do other stuff, that the benefits to you, to baby and to the bond you will have are immeasurable.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I agree, at this point, I'd say "neither." You probably don't have low supply, and you don't have a "greedy baby." You have a NORMAL newborn, which is hard enough, to be sure! Learning to get out and about and still breastfeed will help your sanity, as will realizing this is temporary and just parking yourself on the couch with some good/bad television and making the best of it. Luckily, this very intense period is quite short-lived, and breastfeeding gets easier and easier as time goes on.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Just to reiterate what everyone else has said - normal!
    it's totally normal - my little girl was the same - Nipple all the time - even still we go through phases where my breasts feels as soft as they were before I was pregnant!

But as the others said - output - wet diapers is the best indiction.

Kelly Mom says 4 +

xx Keep it at - you're doing great!

with the PPs. Diaper output and weight gain will tell you what you need to know. If diaper output isn't where it should be or baby isn't gaining weight appropriately, then there may be a problem. If that's the case, see an IBCLC and come back here and let us know exactly what is going on. We'll do what we can to help!

Most likely everything is fine.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was there not long ago at all...just a couple weeks!...and already it seems like a distant memory. <---I didn't believe it either, but it truly truly does get better!!!

Remember too that this constant nursing is her way to making sure you get the rest you need to recover from birth, it's quite a genius design
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]