Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk blister/bleb help needed

Default Milk blister/bleb help needed

It figures, as soon as I decided not to quit breast feeding it Looks like I developed a milk blister/bleb and it is quite painful. Any recommendations on how to treat it?

Default Re: Milk blister/bleb help needed

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

For me, soaking the nipple in epsom salts (2 tsp) and 1 cup of warm water really helped. You have to be patient. They don't go away immediately and even if you get rid of lost of it, there might be some residue. Just be diligent about soaking and gently rubbing a washcloth over it before nursing. I have done it every single time before nursing for the past week and have noticed a difference. It also just feels good to soak the nipple in warm water.

I was using a sterilized needle but found that it was more painful than soaking.

Those hurt. I've poked mine with a sterilized needle and relief followed soon after (although it was still a day or two after that before it was completely pain free).
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I also open mine up and grit it out, because doing do immediately clears up the clog.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!