Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feeling sort of "trapped" - vent.

Default feeling sort of "trapped" - vent.

Just a vent...I remember feeling this way with DS, but it's even more so with DD because I want to be able to do more things with DS.

DD is 9 days old and I just feel stuck to the house because of breastfeeding. I'm still dealing with some cracked nipples and getting her to latch correctly each time, so it's still painful to initiate a feeding...but it's also the fact that I seriously leak anywhere between 1-3 ounces from the other breast during a letdown, and from the moment I bring baby to breast, that side starts a continual drip until she is latched, so I usually end up with a wet bra/shirt on that side too.

I do use nursing pads, and also bought a Milkies milk saver, but I am so afraid to leave the house in case she needs to nurse. DH has been on paternity leave, and has been doing everything with DS...but I miss my little boy, and I really really want to take him to mommy & me class tomorrow, I'm just dreading the whole messy/painful nursing situation.

The good thing is I know this too shall pass, and it's just a matter of getting through it one issue at a time. Thanks for "listening".
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Default Re: feeling sort of "trapped" - vent.

Sorry. It's hard at first when you have the second one. I hope things get easier soon.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

It is so hard when you add a new little one to the family! I felt like I was letting down my son when I brought his sister home. I felt like I was always saying "Just a minute..." to him. But guess what? I also gave him the gift of a sibling, a friend for life. It was a tough transition at first, and he watched far too much TV but it all balances out. Babywearing really helped me. I could have her strapped to my front and still had both hands free. I also would take a walk with her in the stroller. Daniel would get some good outside play, Lucy would fall asleep, and when we got home him and I would play ball or read books outside while Lucy napped in the stroller. You will find your groove. It takes some time. Once your emotions calm a bit after the birth, and you and your new nursling find your groove, things will steady out. I still feel pulled in two directions a lot of days and my kids are 3 and 5 years old. But its worth it!!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I feel like I could have written this post (actually, I did write something similar a week ago :-) ). My little guy is 5 weeks, and I definitely feel so overwhelmed at times. He's a good sleeper too, but in the evenings he wants to be attached to me for hours! And I wonder how I'm ever going to be able to DO anything if this is how it's going to be.
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

9 days is so early yet. You'll get it figured out.

Way too lazy for formula

@brogers - do you have a sling? have you gotten out of hte house on little walks?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to this whole experience! I remember well how trapped I felt when Joe was that age, and feeling guilty about your older child is bound to make it even more difficult! I also agree, though. I would work on getting out with the new babe, even just for a little walk, as soon as possible, so that you feel a little less trapped. The nursing in public thing will come (I was really leaky too), probably quite soon. Keep working at it, because being comfortable leaving the house is a really important goal.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

what Lyn said exactly. from a couple of days post partum i made myself get out of the house (even if it was just a five minute walk around the block but mostly to the coffee shop a few blocks away. my post patum depression become unmanageable if i am not in contact with people.

i know this is unpopular around here, but i handed off my baby any minute i could and spent almost all non-nursing time with my big kid (a high needs17 mo old at the time.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

@auderey - yes! I've been putting him in the Moby in the mornings, and we go for a walk. He usually falls asleep after some grumbling, and I can get a good hour or so if i keep moving. I just ordered a mesh wrap for the hot weather. It also helps that we're learning when the little guy is fussy bc he's tired or fussy bc he's hungry.
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

fantastic. so good for everyone!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.