Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I get more pumping now that my supply is regulated.

Question How do I get more pumping now that my supply is regulated.

So far I have been lucky with pumping. I have always produced too much milk and have just recently seemed to have a more regulated supply. Along with this regulation I am not as efficient pumping. It used to be that in the morning I would get 4 oz (from each breast) and about 2 oz (from each) in the afternoon. Lately, this has dropped to @ 4 total in the morning and 1-2 total in the afternoon. For me, the let down occurs about 1-2 minutes into the pumping session, I get good output for about 5 minutes then I get just drops for a minute then nothing. I have tried to continue pumping for up to 30 minutes and I have been unable to get a second let down or even get enough drops to really add enough to count. So my question is, should I keep pumping for the extra time (maybe up to 20 minutes as that seems to be the average here for most moms)? Is it possible that my body will learn to give a second let down if I pump longer consistently? Any suggestions or thoughts?

I suppose I should add that I am away from home for about 9 hours a day working full time M-F. I wish I could be a SAHM but right now I can't seem to make it work financially. I pump 1x @ 10:30 am and again at 2:30 pm. I feed her right before I leave for work @7:30, again at noon (luckily she can visit me at lunch time) then all evening starting when I get home @ 5pm. She tends to sleep well through the night, eating @ 8p, again at 3:30 am then 5:30 am. We bed-share. Okay I've rambled on enough and I think I gave all the pertinent details. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: How do I get more pumping now that my supply is regulate

Add in one more pumping session (or two). Pumping more often commonly yields more than pumping longer. I dealt with the same thing. I started with crazy OS - pumped 8-10 ounces at a time. Then my supply regulated and I needed to pump more often just to get enough or the next day.

I do get a second letdown if I pump long enough, but it usually doesn't yield a huge amount - maybe an extra ounce.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

What times should I try to add more sessions in? How far apart do they need to be? It is difficult for me to find the time to pump earlier than 10:00 and I don't want to pump right before she gets there at noon or right before I go home to feed her. I guess I'll experiment tomorrow. Do you think a half hour apart will be too close together?

I would pump as close to the middle of the existing to pumps as possible - 1-1:30, then push the last back to 3-3:30 maybe.

lots of mamas pump an extra time outside work - first thing in the am or last thing at night. pumping once a day on days off is also a good way to get ahead.

it's not standard advice, but when i was trying to increase my yield, i wuold pump right BEFORE i nursed. i knew my baby would work for it, and be better than the pump at getting milk out and increasing supply. if you think your baby has the right personality, you might pump at 10 and 11:30, nurse at noon. that might take advantage of the more milk in the mornngs most people have. i actually always got more in the afternoon, and your time is spaced out a bit better, so maybe you could pump at 2:30 and 4:30, then she has as long as she wants in the evenings to make it up.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Also, if she sleeps well through the night you can pump once after you get her to sleep. I've done that before when I've come up short.

Ok, thanks ladies. I will try out these suggestions and see what works. Except, Audrey, I have a VERY impatient LO. She got used to my OS / OALD, now she hates it when I don't practically spray her across the room. If it's not instantaneous she grunts, bites down, pulls and looks at me accusingly like I'm keeping it from her. I tell her she's gotta work for it and she gives one more grunt then gets back to work. It's pretty funny actually.

hahaha!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

A breast that ie emptied more often makes more milk than one that is fuller.

Can you maybe pump in the car on the way to work? Hands free bra and a 10 minute drive will help
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!