Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What does the transition look like?

Question What does the transition look like?

Hi everyone! DS is 9 months old, still nursing like a champ, and in the last couple of weeks he's gone from solid food being kinda sorta interesting to it being the most tasty thing in the world. He's having a lot of fun trying new things.

I know that solid foods don't take more importance until after he's a year old. My question is, what does that transition look like? Will he be the one to initiate fewer nursing sessions or should I start dropping them? We're in no hurry to wean, I'm just wondering if at some point I need to conscientiously replace some nursing with more solids or if he will let me know to do that.

Thanks!
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

Default Re: What does the transition look like?

thanks for asking, i've been wondering this too with my almost-1-year old who LOVES his food but isn't getting regular meals of any kind.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

The transition to solids after a year is variable, just like all things baby. Some babies are very interested in solids right from the start, and quickly start replacing nursing sessions by eating a ton of solids and either refusing to nurse or simply not cueing as frequently. Other babies have little to no interest in solids, and continue to remain predominantly breastfed well into their second year. Both types of baby are perfectly normal. There is no reason for a mom to have to consciously cut back on baby's nursing intake unless she wants to wean.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Before a year, nurse on demand. After a year you can nurse on demand or drop feedings. I continued to nurse on demand after a year and my son gradually increased hos solids intake until he was eating full meals reliably between 15-16 months. He is still nursing 8x a day on a average.

It's different for all babies though. I personally think the best thing you can do is let you baby take the lead, letting him eat as much or as little as he wants and give him unrestricted access to nursing.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

@brooke - you mean like this? doh. IMG_4306.jpg

zomg.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks, everyone! This is great info!
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

I've been wondering this, too. Aidan won't nurse or ask while he's up playing (8 months), he waits until he's tired & we lay down & he nurses to sleep. Offer the table food after he wakes?