Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: drying up?

Default drying up?

Well the frustration continues. Thought we were finally getting somewhere but now I have apparently a new issue. I had mastitis last week or so ago and took an antibiotic for it. It is gone now but apparently so is my milk in that breast. Is that normal? Is there something that I can do? I've noticed the supply decreasing and this morning there's practically nothing in there. I pump after I nurse as I'm having to supplement my feedings, my little guy isn't sucking enough with a normal feed so I have to supplement. Anyways....any thoughts on why my milk supply is so low on that one breast? Is it drying up? Help!

Default Re: drying up?

How old is your baby?

Way too lazy for formula

Have you seen an ENT about tongue tie yet? It's easier to boost supply with a baby who nurses effectively.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

when I have occasional dips in supply I take More Milk Plus. It's nasty let me warn you but has all the herbs in one place to boost my supply back up. I also make sure I don't have any clogs which decrease supply.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

My little guy is 4 weeks old. Yes he's been checked for tongue tied....he does not have it. I just got done pumping after a feed and I got close to 2 ounces on my left and not a drop on my right.

Some breasts just don't make much...BUT do NOT measure output by the pump!

I have successfully breastfed three babies, but I struggle at times to exclusively pump for my fourth. Because pumping isn't as good as a baby for your supply!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Well I didn't have problems with pumping that breast until after I got mastitis. Not sure if it's related or not. I started to tone down the pumping too but picked it back up after the mastitis...so not sure if it's cuz of me stopping pumping for a while or from mastitis or what.

Were you still nursing on that side during the mastitis?

Does your baby swallow when put on that side?

Pumping may not tell you much. Plus, if you are stressed or freaking out about it - you may not get much.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!