Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling and stretching

Default Pulling and stretching

So on top of my fun breastfeeding challenges....my little guy has been starting to really stretch and pull during nursing. Any idea of why? I have to break the suction or he'll darn near tear my nipple off. OUCH!

Default Re: Pulling and stretching

Have you tried swaddling then nursing? Also maybe walk around or rock while nursing him. Sometimes babies need extra soothing while nursing.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

thanks, I will try that. He's doing it more frequently and it's not so fun.

Mine did similar things for a spell - so not fun indeed! Nursing while in motion was really helpful.

It just occured to me that you can also try nursing in a reclined position. I would lay back on some pillows, put my baby on my chest, and let him latch himself. It can take a little while to get it down, but nursing like this can help with lots of different issues.

My LO does this too, she started doing it and i thought maybe my supply was low, but she still does it and I know i have a substantial supply for her ... I have no idea what it is or why but as everyone has stated walking really does help!!

Sorry I'm not more helpful but if you find out what it is - tell me!

I'd love to know why they do this too! My 6 wk old does it at the end of nearly every feeding. It's been the cause of many tears and nights spent wondering if she gets enough.

Mine does it at the end of sessions when he is half asleep. He is full but wants to keep sucking so pulls back when his mouth fills with milk. I now let him relatch just a time or two to make sure that he really isn't hungry, then unlatch and rock to sleep if needed--or pass off to dad to rock Otherwise it would just go on and on and we' re both frustrated. Plus, it hurts!

ETA: @vivsmaman, I'd bet it is similar with your babe. If she is having enough wet/dirty diapers throughout the day then she is getting enough milk
    Last edited by @llli*mima; May 21st, 2012 at 07:59 AM.
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12

this happens towards the end of sessions for me too and lots of times its him trying to pass gas.... im gonna try walking too bc its soooo painful at times!!

Walking while nursing helped immensely for me in the early days. You can give a tummy massage and bicycle legs between nursing sessions to help with the gas.

Thanks all! I used to walk with him while feeding but haven't done that in a while. I'll try that again.