Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping longer affecting supply?

Default Sleeping longer affecting supply?

Mu little guy is 5 weeks old and has always been a good night time sleeper (he'll go 3-5 hrs at night). Lately he'll be asleep for the night around 8pm and won't wake up until around 2 or 230. I'm glad I get uninterrupted sleep, but my beasts are so full by that time and they leak everywhere. I'm also worried about this affecting my supply since he's only 5 weeks, and I have no idea if mine is well established. He also wants to comfort nurse/cluster feed at random times of day (not in the evenings before bed). So is this typical 5 weeker behavior - sleeping longer, etc? Also, what are some things to look for if my supply is decreasing? Thanks so much!

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

Default Re: Sleeping longer affecting supply?

Yep. And once you think you have it figured out again, he will switch it up
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

middle of IA

Default Re: Sleeping longer affecting supply?

yep, no worries, mama. watch the baby, not the clock.

around 8-12 weeks lots of mamas' supply starts regulating (yes, right now you have some normal oversupply as your body figures out how many babies it needs to feed). you'll likely stop leaking, stop getting so engorged, stop feeling full or empty as much, and that sort of thing. this all does NOT mean you are dangerously losing yoru supply; as long as baby is having enough wets, it means your body is regulating to what baby needs. so don't panic when that happens!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.