Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hormones...

Default hormones...

OK ladies, I am struggling...I want my cycle to return!! I am 33 and want another baby soon (it took 11 months to get pregger the first time, so I am worried it will take awhile with the next) AND it hurts SO freaking badly to have sex. I have been told that the pain comes from lack of hormones due to BFing, so my thought was that I could get my cycle back and it might help with the pain (and also maybe regulate it a bit and eventually try for #2).

I don't want to do anything that will compromise my nursing relationship (DS is only 9 months), but the lack of intimacy with my DH is pretty bad. It has hurt so badly at times that I want to cry.

Any suggestions? Night weaning? Estrogen cream? Anything??
    EBFing, CDing, BWing, co-sleeping mamma to Bennett (9/5/11).
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).

Default Re: hormones...

Well, since your LO is only 9 months, dont stress TTC. If you got pregnant now, you have a very high chance of needing to supplement with formula as 80% of pregnant mothers lose their supply. So I would not stress now about that. And a lot can happen in the next few months anyway that can bring your cycle back, even if you do nothing about it. Baby may start STTN. May naturally space out feedings. And then your fertility returns.

It's a bigger concern about the pain. What have you tried? Have you spoken to a midwife about it?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

The pain you're experiencing doesn't sound like a normal hormonal thing to me. I had some pain with intercourse after Joe was born, but after everything healed, it wasn't an issue if I used lube, and it improved a lot by 6 months PP. Have you tried using tons of lubricant?

Most women get their cycles back naturally between a year and two years (15 months is the average). If it were me, I'd wait until a year and then consider cutting out feedings, so that you don't have to supplement with formula. It's very likely it will naturally happen on its own shortly after that anyway.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*darwinthesun View Post
    my thought was that I could get my cycle back and it might help with the pain
    Getting your cycle back doesn't necessarily guarantee this. I got my cycle back 8 weeks PP and sex was unpleasant for me until close to a year.

Lube. Lots of it.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

THanks ladies. I am not stressed thinking of TTC, it is just that my cycles were so wonky before and I worry since it took us so long. We want our kids semi close (maybe 2-3 years apart), so when you start to do the math it adds up! But TTC is not really the big concern. I just wanted to give my cycles some time to regulate.

As for the pain...it is like razorblades. But everything I have read says that is normal. I haven't talked to my doc about it, but before delivering my DS she mentioned estrogen cream if I was experiencing pain. I figured if I contacted her that would be her recommendation still. Things get very lubed up, but even the lube can burn. Sometimes I even wash a little too well and the soap burns. (And I defo do not have any STIs or anything either).

I certainly don't want to do anything to mess up my nursing. Waiting until he is a year is reasonable...I am just so sad that I have been missing that connection with my DH for so long.
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).

Talk to a doctor about this. Razor blade pain does not sound normal at all to me. I had some pain for longer than I though I should, but nothing like that.

Where have you been reading that razor-blade pain is normal? Some dryness and discomfort can be normal, for sure, but this sounds worse ... could you even have a yeast infection or something that hasn't been diagnosed? (That does feel like razor blades and burning pain, BTDT.) I would definitely mention this to your doc and have her take a look.

Estrogen cream has helped some mamas here - I think I remember Mommal saying, you should apply with gloves and be very careful to avoid getting any contact with your baby, it can reduce your supply but shouldn't if it's used very sparingly ....

No need to use soap in that area! It's self-cleaning. Using soap too much can change your vaginal pH and predispose you to vaginal infections that in turn make sex painful (like yeast infections). It can also dry you out. Just water is fine.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I very much doubt I have an infection (no signs anyway). Grrr...I suppose I will call my OB and see if she can see me. The estrogen cream sounds like a pain, but if there is a chance of it helping then I am willing. Thanks for the comments.

Infections can occur without the usual symptoms. I wouldn't rule it out until you see your doctor.

My suggestions for increased enjoyment for sex include NEVER DOING IT WITHOUT LUBE and Wine. Wine is like Meh. Makes things nicer. Lube makes in bearable in the 1st place. So don't try it without lube. I remember that before I had a child being WET meant being ready for sex. Lube was only to keep you going in the 2nd hour. So at 6month PPD I was never wet I thought that meant I was never ready. Lube fixed that. So I could meet my DH's needs without being in pain. And it helped me get in the mood mentally immensely. LUBE. For sure.

Way too lazy for formula