Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will it be enough?

Post Will it be enough?

I'm going back to work soon and I will be pumping with the Medela pump in style. I will be able to pump 3 X's during my 8 hr work day. However I will only be able to fit 10 minutes in for 2 of the pumping sessions. Luckily i can swing 15 to 20 minutes for the other one. Does this seem reasonable enough to keep my milk up? I hope so!! Also, should i still be pumpinh on my days off? Thanks ladies.

Default Re: Will it be enough?

Also if anyone has any tips for thing to put in pump bag i'd appreciate it.

It is hard to say if that will be long enough. It should be long enough to relieve any discomfort and keep your milk supply up, but may not be enough time to get enough milk to send with your baby. You'll have to wait and see. One way to save time is to have your bottles and everything set to go the night before, don't wash them in between, just put them in a ziploc bag and put them in a fridge or cooler for the work day so you don't have to waste any time with clean up.

You may find that you need to pump in the evening/morning at home - or in the car on the way to and from work (is this a possibility?) and on weekends to make up for any extra milk your baby needs while you are away.

Babies need between 1 and 1.5 ounces per hour away from mom, so you'll want to shoot for somewhere between 8 and 12 ounces.

I'm not trying to be negative, I just know that I couldn't have pumped enough milk in two short sessions and one longer one for either of my children.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I would leave an extra set of bottles and pump gear at the office in case you forget it. Also, breast milk bags in case you don't have enough bottles for whatever reason some day.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

If you can even stretch the two shorter ones to 12 or 13 minutes, that helps. I am lucky enough to have a supportive workplace, so I pump 3x a day, and two of them are shorter (10-12 minutes) and one longer (15 minutes). My supply did drop when I went back to work, so I had to pump extra sometimes at home, plus had to take some fenugreek for a few days. I second mommy2lilah -- I have a pump and everything I need at work,as well as at home. I bought doubles of all the tubing and diaphragms, because it's a half hour drive home if something tears or gets lost. I keep the bags and bag adaptors at work in case I forget my bottles, which I do frequently. I also have my cleaning supplies (washing liquid, bottle brush, towel for drying) and the Medela steamer bags so I can sanitize everything there. Also, make sure you have a few towels for yourself. I drip milk on me all the time, and a few times it's dripped down my shirt, making it look like my breasts are leaking when they're not. Very embarrassing. So keep a sweater handy to cover up! Also, learn to read while you're pumping. It took me a week to get used to it (book down, turning page with one finger), and now I have finished 4 books in the past 3 months just pumping.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*saliza4356 View Post
    Also if anyone has any tips for thing to put in pump bag i'd appreciate it.
    I've taken to squeezing in an extra cooler (a pretty small one) with ice pack, for the pump parts themselves. I can't refrigerate them here, so it saves me a cleaning and I can spend more time on my breaks pumping as I'm not also having to take everything apart and wash it each time.

if you have a kindle or nook - those things are great too

granola bars, and a sharpie for dating bags
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.