Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decreased milk production

Question Decreased milk production

Hello this is my first baby and I have breast infection (mastitis) and ever since my milk supply has decreased dramatically even from my healthy breast. Is this normal? I'm afraid it will never come back up and my baby is two months old and eating a lot!!
    Last edited by @llli*danis.mum; May 23rd, 2012 at 08:17 AM.

Default Re: Decrease milk production

hi mama, it's normal for 2 month olds to eat a lot, even when their mamas didn't have mastitis. can you tell us a little more about when you got mastitis, how you know your supply is decreased in that breast, your baby's nursing patterns and how many wet diapers she has in 24 hours and weight history.

and i assume you are being treated for mastitis? lots of mamas also take probiotics while they're on antibiotics, to help prevent thrush.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Default Re: Decreased milk production

Excellent questions from auderey.

It is normal to experience decreased production during and after a bout of mastitis. But as long as you nurse on demand, your milk production will remain sufficient for baby's needs. Once milk supply adjusts to meet baby's needs precisely, the following are normal:
    - rarely or never feeling "full" or engorged
    - leaking less or not at all
    - diminished letdown sensation (if you are one of those mamas who experience letdown sensation)
    - lowered pump output (if you are pumping)
    - baby requires both breasts at a feeding after just needing one
    - baby nurses frequently (normal at any time during your breastfeeding journey!)
    - baby wakes to eat after a period of sleeping through the night
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Decrease milk production

Hello!! My baby is eating almost 4 ounces every 2 1/2 hours. She was born premature at 33 weeks stayed at nicu 2 weeks. I started pumping milk since day 2 and was exclusive breastmilk. They gave her bottle at nicu and have not been able to get her to breastfed yet and I am pumping every three hours and giving her bottle. Three days ago I started with fever pain on my right breast erythema and swelling. I called my doctor and prescribed antibiotics. Prior to the mastitis I used to get 4-5 ounces every three hours but now I'm only producing 2-3 ounce every 2-3 hours and I have being pumping around the clock. I even had to use some of my frozen milk bank. I am afraid i will stop producing milk and will have ti use formula. Any advice?

has your baby latched on the breast at all? have you seen an IBCLC who might help you do that? getting baby back to the breast will be difficult but WAY WAY easier than exclusive pumping, as you are already finding out.

producing 2-3 oz every 2-3 hours is totally normal. you were getting extra before.

what kind of pump do you have?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I am also wondering about your pump. An EP mom needs a top-flight pump (hospital-grade is preferable, Medela Pump in Style or equivalent is acceptable, anything less is not) and properly sized breast shields.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My pump is the medela pump in style advanced. The baby have never latched to my breast I placed once a nipple of a bottle over my nipple and she latched but was too painful and she got desperate because liitle was coming out. My nipples are flat so I think that is the problem. Someone recomended getting the nipple out with the pump and then place the baby but did not worked.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danis.mum View Post
    The baby have never latched to my breast I placed once a nipple of a bottle over my nipple and she latched but was too painful and she got desperate because liitle was coming out. My nipples are flat so I think that is the problem.
    I would recommend finding a LC who can show you how to use a proper nipple shield. My LO was born about as early as yours, and that's how I was able to get her to latch. Now at 12 weeks, 5 weeks adjusted, we are nursing without it. If for some reason you can't consult a LC, Target carries the Medela Nipple Shield and there are some pretty decent YouTube videos that can show you how to use it.

Shield: http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...nipple-shields
    Applying shield: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4CmEj33E-Q
    Nursing with shield: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_FmTJ1zulo

Also, is your baby 2 months actual or adjusted? If only 2 months actual, 4 oz every 2.5 hours is A LOT of milk. It would be a lot even for a 2 month old termie. My little bug nurses about every 2 hours and only takes about 2-2.5 oz each time (I have a nursing scale).
    Last edited by @llli*larkface; May 23rd, 2012 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*larkface View Post
    I would recommend finding a LC who can show you how to use a proper nipple shield.

an IBCLC who will work with you to get her latched.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Thanks for all your help!