Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One sided nursing questions

Default Re: One sided nursing questions

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sb View Post
    Oh and I got super worried because a friend's midwife told me that he is overeating and that I needed to wean him a bit.
    Wow. Ridiculous.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Sigh. Usually midwives know somewhat more about breastfeeding than doctors. But not in all cases! Breastfed babies don't overeat, because they are in charge of the feeding. When they stop feeling hungry, their suckling pattern changes, going from intense and rhythmic to soft and relaxed. At that point milk supply slows or stops. This is totally different from the way a bottle fed baby eats, because the milk flow never stops no matter whether the baby is sucking for nutrition or merely for comfort, and because a bottle fed baby is not in charge of the feeding. Even the most sensitive bottle-feeding parent can tip the bottle up a bit, to get baby to hurry up or to take just a bit more milk.

Trust the baby. He knows when he is hungry and when to stop eating.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Since 4pm today, the baby has wanted to nurse forever. 1 hour plus sessions. My breasts are so soft, which is a sensation I am not used to. I am freaking out a little bit- did my one sided nursing/ block feeding diminish my supply?

I have been trying to let him go as long as he wants but he doesn't seem satisfied at all. I see wet diapers so that's one consolation. What could be happening? Is he hungry?

If there are enough wet diapers then he's getting enough. Just let him nurse as much as he wants. You can switch back and forth between sides. I doubt this is a supply issue, but even if it is his constant nursing will bring your supply back up. Try not to worry. This behavior is totally normal.

ETA: He could be comfort nursing. In which case, let him.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

totally normal. just let him nurse! make sure you have a book or computer, water, snacks, and settle in to enjoy what it's like to nurse without OS/OALD.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.