Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One sided nursing questions

Default One sided nursing questions

Hi again, my son is 9 weeks old and I have been doing one sided nursing fir a few weeks. I decided to do this because I was constantly engorged (suspected oversupply), and he had reflux.*

It seems like my breasts aren't as full. I am insecure that he is getting enough. He is over 15.10 and his birth weight was 7.7.*

1. How do know when your breasts are drained if they don't feel that full to begin with? Is there a way I can tell by squeezing my breast? I can get milk to cone out if I squeeze even if I am soft but that's probably because they will never be empty.*

2. I know that your body regulates engorgement. Usually after about 20 min or so, his sucking slows and I pull him off. Sometimes he wants to get back on so I offer him the same side. But it seems so empty. Should I be offering the other side? (which I do sometimes). At the next feeding, I start with the second side which seems even emptier if I let him have the second side.*

3.*Will I be adversely affecting my supply with one sided nursing? For the past 2 days, I don't feel very full and I am worried that my milk production is low.*

Thanks for your advice.

Default Re: One sided nursing questions

Well, he has already doubled his birth weight - so you can be sure he's getting enough to eat!

Check wet diapers - as long as he has 6 to 8 wet diapers in a 24 hour period, then he's getting enough.

1. At some point - for some women, around 6 weeks, for others at a later point, your body regulates the amount of milk and so you don't feel engorged anymore.

2. Why don't you let him decide when to come off? And then offer the first side again. And then after he comes off a second time, offer the second side to see if he wants it.

3. I suppose I answered already. But milk supply regulates to meet the demands of your baby.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Hi mama, this is good news - it sounds like your supply is starting to regulate. My advice: stop worrying about how full your breasts feel and just watch your baby. He's gaining well, as long as he has at least 5-6 wet diapers a day and his poops are ok and he is happy, you are doing everything right! You might just be feeling "low milk" because you are actually getting closer to "right amount" of milk. Even people without oversupply have this regulation period.

And worse case scenario if your supply does go too low, all you have to do is let him nurse on demand and it'll come back up. So relax and enjoy it now that it's getting easier!

I didn't have OS but I have heard on here that at some point it is normal for babies to go back to taking both sides.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

tracie - jinx!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Hi ladies, thanks for your speedy responses. I am so used to feeling overly full and leaking (and baby pulling off and choking) that I just feel nervous.

I have seen 5-6 wet diapers a day but how many poops should I be expecting? Previously he pooped almost every time I fed him 8-11 times a day) and they were monster diaper fillers. Now I see about maybe 2 big ones and a bunch of small ones (and sometimes none at all).

I will let him come off on his own but he would be on my boobs for hours at a time if he could. He loves to nurse. He is quite aggressive at first and then it just looks like non nutritive sucking. I let him do that for a little bit but then gently pull him off to see if he wants more.

If your breast is drained, it just feels super soft? I am new to this soft feeling so bear with me!

I also have been letting him sleep on me after he eats and he goes out for several hours. Does that mean he is satisfied? If I transfer him, he sometimes wakes or sleeps for a little while longer.

Breastfeeding for us has had many challenges but I am really loving the connection.

After 6 weeks, poop frequency may be as little as one (generally quite large) poop per week, or baby may continue to poop multiple times per day.

If your breast is empty, it just feels soft. But once supply regulates, you may feel soft more or less all the time.

If baby sleeps for several hours are nursing, he's satisfied.

Sounds like you're doing very well, mama! And don't be suprised if you eventually must transition to using both breasts at a feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sb View Post
    I have seen 5-6 wet diapers a day but how many poops should I be expecting? Previously he pooped almost every time I fed him 8-11 times a day) and they were monster diaper fillers. Now I see about maybe 2 big ones and a bunch of small ones (and sometimes none at all).
    Poops get really variable, so don't worry about it. Here is some info on normal nursing indicators (including diaper output) as your newborn starts getting a little older.

The most relevant parts:

Dirty diapers: Expect 3-4+ stools daily that are the size of a US quarter (2.5 cm) or larger. Some babies stool every time they nurse, or even more often–this is normal, too. The normal stool of a breastfed baby is yellow and loose (soft to runny) and may be seedy or curdy. After 4 – 6 weeks, some babies stool less frequently, with stools as infrequent as one every 7-10 days. As long as baby is gaining well, this is normal.

Wet diapers: Expect 5-6+ wet diapers every 24 hours. To feel what a sufficiently wet diaper is like, pour 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of water into a clean diaper. A piece of tissue in a disposable diaper will help you determine if the diaper is wet. After 6 weeks, wet diapers may drop to 4-5/day but amount of urine will increase to 4-6+ tablespoons (60-90+ mL) as baby’s bladder capacity grows.

I will let him come off on his own but he would be on my boobs for hours at a time if he could. He loves to nurse. He is quite aggressive at first and then it just looks like non nutritive sucking. I let him do that for a little bit but then gently pull him off to see if he wants more.
    I think this is fine. I used to do the same

If your breast is drained, it just feels super soft?
    It can. At this point I don't know hat I woud stress out so much about the breast being completely drained. I woud just do as mommy2lilah suggested and offer the first breast twice, then the second. Once OS is under control, you can relax some about these things.

I also have been letting him sleep on me after he eats and he goes out for several hours. Does that mean he is satisfied? If I transfer him, he sometimes wakes or sleeps for a little while longer.
    He sounds satisfied to me! Enjoy the snuggles!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks again. I think I will get back to two sides soon.

Oh and I got super worried because a friend's midwife told me that he is overeating and that I needed to wean him a bit. That seemed contrary to everything I have read about BF. She did get me to research OS but her advice on weaning is off, right?

Yes. Her weaning advice is WAY OFF.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months