Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bad latch with 4 month old?

Default Bad latch with 4 month old?

Hello-
    DD and I have been through our challenges...mastitis, cracked nipple, oversupply. I am constantly worried about a possible bad latch. My nipples are just kind of sore when she nurses, not really painful. She comes on and off a lot; I feel like we do a lot of re-latching. At this age, is it impossible to try to change how DD latches? I have watched lots of videos, etc, and I feel that she still doesn't latch on very deeply. I have had wicked oversupply, which is finally tapering off and I feel like she fights the flow. Any suggestions for latch?

Christin

Vegan Mama to Eleanor Hope- 9/2/08 and Lorelai Eden 1/25/12

Love , , and

living green

Default Re: Bad latch with 4 month old?

Have you tried laid back positioning? I had horrible OALD, and it worked wonders for that. It can be helpful for lots of other latch issues too. I would lean back on a few pillows, put my baby on my chest, and let him latch himself. Maybe trying a variety of different positions might yield one that helps with the latch. She's getting bigger now, so she may nurse better in new positions.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Default Re: Bad latch with 4 month old?

Also - teething can temporarily screw up a latch. I need to relatch and reposition frequently when my son is teething. His latch usually improves once the tooth cuts through.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).