Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new to breastfeeding...

Default new to breastfeeding...

well, i'm learning the hard way that you can't just wing this! this is not as easy as i thought and i'm trying to read posts on here to learn as i go. i formula fed DD#1 because she was hospitalized for lethargy at 10 days old and had to be hospitalized. i was on lexapro and though i was assured throughout my pregnancy that it would not affect the baby, it must have since as soon as i took her off the breastmilk she was fine. i came off of lexapro for DD#2 and we've been exclusively breast feeding since she was born (4/14/12). right now we are on NO sort of a schedule which makes me nervous because i'm going back to work at the beginning of august and i can't be pumping a million times a day. i also think i have an oversupply- at least out of my right breast. she feeds VERY quickly- anywhere from 5-8 minutes and only on one side. she chokes a couple of times during each feeding. i've been pumping every morning and every night for two reasons----first is that i need the relief in the morning, and at night i fear that if i don't go to bed with empty breasts i'm going to wake up in even more pain. i know that pumping is a double edged sword because it signals your body to make more milk. i could stop pumping and just deal with the pain BUT i also worry that then i won't have enough milk stored up for when i go back to work and she's in daycare. so as much as i want the relief, i also kind of like having more than i need because i'm building up a supply for her later. am i making a mistake? also, are there any books out there for first time breastfeeding mothers (sort of like a breastfeeding for dummies---which i know exists but i don't know if it's any good) that you would recommend? thanks!

Default Re: new to breastfeeding...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babiestl View Post
    right now we are on NO sort of a schedule which makes me nervous because i'm going back to work at the beginning of august and i can't be pumping a million times a day.
    You won't need to pump a million times a day. You can pump every 2-3 hours at work and still nurse on demand at home.

i also think i have an oversupply- at least out of my right breast. she feeds VERY quickly- anywhere from 5-8 minutes and only on one side. she chokes a couple of times during each feeding. i've been pumping every morning and every night for two reasons----first is that i need the relief in the morning, and at night i fear that if i don't go to bed with empty breasts i'm going to wake up in even more pain. i know that pumping is a double edged sword because it signals your body to make more milk.
    You can pump, or preferably hand express, just enough to relieve pain. Stop pumping until the breast is empty though.

i could stop pumping and just deal with the pain BUT i also worry that then i won't have enough milk stored up for when i go back to work and she's in daycare. so as much as i want the relief, i also kind of like having more than i need because i'm building up a supply for her later.
    You don't need a huge stash to go back to work. You only need enough milk for the first day (1-1.5 ounces for every hour you will be gone) then maybe a few bottles to one extra day's worth more for growth spurts, spills, etc. If you have too big a stash, you will find that you may not be able to rotate through it fast enough. I had to toss some milk for that very reason.

You're doing great! I would ease off the pumping a little for now, enjoy your daughter and let her establish your milk supply instead of the pump.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

[QUOTE=@llli*phi;1266946]You won't need to pump a million times a day. You can pump every 2-3 hours at work and still nurse on demand at home.

LOL! to me, this IS a million times a day! I will have one break during the day at lunch and that's it. I'm in a courtroom the rest of the time so it's impossible for me to leave to pump.

But I hear you on the stored supply---I may wind up having TOO much and having to toss it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babiestl View Post
    LOL! to me, this IS a million times a day! I will have one break during the day at lunch and that's it. I'm in a courtroom the rest of the time so it's impossible for me to leave to pump.
    Do you drive to work? You can pump on the way to and from work in addition to those two breaks, and that very well may be more than sufficient to keep your baby fed!

I still think you should just enjoy your baby while you are home. You already have some milk socked away, so you can relax about that. You have a couple breaks when you can pump which may be enough, and if you have problems once you get back then there are lots of ladies here that can help get you through it!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

there's a fabulous book called teh Womanly Art of Breastfeeding - only $14 on amazon - get right now

and you will need to pump more at work. somehow. or your supply will tank. that's why pumping at work is SO FRICKING HARD and most mamas who do it don't make their original goals. but for now, stop pumping and just enjoy your leave and your baby. when you get closer to going back, come back and chat about it and we'll help you brainstorm creative solutions.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

thanks, everyone!