Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Taking Forever to Feed?

Default Taking Forever to Feed?

Hi y'all!

DS is 5.5 weeks. Ever since he was born he's been a leisurely feeder, falling sleep soon after being put on the breast. I do what I can to keep him awake and actively sucking, but sometimes I get caught up in whatever else I'm doing (reading, browsing online) and we just sit there nursing.

I'm a tracker. I'm obsessive! I have this app that logs everything---side nursing on & time spent, time sleeping, time doing other activities, time/side pumping and amounts, diapers and what they contain...it's awesome!

So he never takes more than 30-45 minutes, and I'm pretty sure he empties the breast in only 10-20 usually. It just usually takes longer for him to get that drunken sailor face or be okay with not being on the breast. Oh, and he NEVER pulls off on his own!

It seems to be getting a little better, I can detach him at times when he seems done and he looks a little content for a short time, but then he gets cranky and needs to sleep.

Aren't they supposed to be "happy and content" and awake more by now???

Default Re: Taking Forever to Feed?

Depends on the baby. By 6 weeks or so many babies are more alert, but plenty of babies are still pretty laid-back and dozy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Okay. Good! He's wetting/soiling what he should be so I know he's getting enough (haven't been back since he gained his birth weight back, but he appears to be growing/gaining), it just feels like he's either nursing or grizzling cuz he's tired and then he sleeps.

normal!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    normal!
    Thank you!
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

My LO does that now and she's 9 weeks.... she use to do it at 4 weeks then stopped and would only take 5 mins then be done now she's latched on for 30 mins - I clocked an hour yesterday!
    I think it always changes and like PP's have said its normal, as long as wet diapers are within normal range 5 + then it's fine .... so grab your favorite book and enjoy as I'm sure they are going to grow up too fast!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tanpixie View Post
    My LO does that now and she's 9 weeks.... she use to do it at 4 weeks then stopped and would only take 5 mins then be done now she's latched on for 30 mins - I clocked an hour yesterday!
    I think it always changes and like PP's have said its normal, as long as wet diapers are within normal range 5 + then it's fine .... so grab your favorite book and enjoy as I'm sure they are going to grow up too fast!!
    I'm certainly trying to enjoy it I think sometimes I expect him to act like a 6 month old, not a 6 week old!
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]