Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP! Giving breastmilk in a bottle

Default HELP! Giving breastmilk in a bottle

I need to give my baby my
    Milk in a bottle. She is only 5 days old and it just hurts so much I can't do another feeding. She is always hungry. I have the avent twin electric breast pump and I started pumping but for practice I gave her my milk in a bottle and she guzzled it. I felt like it was just too much at once. I realize the milk is so thin that it Practically forces her to drink it fast whereas on my breast she has full control of her intake. How can I feed her in a bottle or are there special bottles for this?

Has anyone gone through this? Because it is far too painful to feed her :-(

Default Re: HELP! Giving breastmilk in a bottle

I used the Dr Brown bottles for my breastmilk. The nipple was the slowest I could find. Also, the article on this site and the "KellyMom" site for pace feeding is good. It explains how to bottle feed slowly similar to breasted feeding. Good luck!

with the PP on paced feeding and slow-flow nipples.

Mama, if your baby's latch hurts so much at 5 days in that you're heading for the bottles, you're not experiencing "normal soreness". I strongly advise you to see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, as soon as possible. When you have problems with a newborn, nothing beats hands-on help! Call your local LLL as well- maybe they can help. At the very least they can probably recommend a good LC.

Can you tell us exactly what you're experiencing? Maybe we can help you fix it.

In case you don't already know, every time you skip a nursing session, you will need to pump. If you are doing that more than a couple of times a day, I recommend getting a really good pump. If the electric pump you're using is an Isis, that's probably a good choice for now.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have been using a Madela Calma nipple, they are a little pricey about $18 dollars, but it is a 3 piece nipple that makes the baby suck in order to get the milk. It is not as good as the breast but my daughter has been able to transition from bottle to breast with no issue. I have also had pain from nursing where I just sat and cried the entire time and my daughter is now one month old today, I have been switching between bottle and breast to give myself a break, you may want to try that instead of just going to strictly a bottle. I hope it gets better, it really is a wonderful feeling to nurse......emotionally even when it tends to hurt physically.

Can you please describe your pain? Are your nipples cracked and bleeding? Does the pain subside after letdown? The issue is probably related to latch which we can probably fix. Bottles 5 daysare a huge mistake. And Exclusively pumping and bottle feeding is TWICE the commitment AT LEAST. Because your child isn't going to want to eat less often. But now you have to nurse the pump, then feed her. And that is before we get in to cleaning, and rewarming milk.
    Not to mention the fact that the pump does not extract milk as efficiently as the baby.
    And 5days in the throes of pain while your milk supply is still being established is really not the best time to make such a huge decision. I absolutely 2nd Mommals call for some hands on help. But in the meantime, describe your pain so that we might be able to figure out WHY is hurts so bad.

Way too lazy for formula

Hey I just want to share with you that it does hurt initally, I was in pain for 2 weeks but only 2 weeks then one day it just didn't hurt anymore ... of course you should bottle feed her if she's starving and you can't do it anymore but don't give up is what i want to say!
    I used motherlove nipple cream - it saved my life - it's only $9 and I still have over half the small container and I don't need it anymore at all and of course it's safe for baby (I assume all are) but I applied it my nipples constantly.

So don't give up but do what you need to do so your baby is fed, but maybe wait a bit and try again - although I say jut do it = cry through the pain - I did

Although I have no idea how much pain you are feeling ... so that probably doesn't help x

While breastfeeding can be painful early on, there are often very fixable causes for the pain. I agree that it is best to see an IBCLC for hands on help, or at least describe the pain so that others here can help troubleshoot. If it is a bad latch, it is best to work on fixing it sooner rather than later.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Get thee to an IBCLC. That pain isn't normal.

The pump you have is NOT adequate for exclusively pumping, which is what you are talking about. If you are serious about just pumping, you need to find an IBCLC to rent a pump and get the right sized horns from.

EPing is WAY harder than what breastfeeding will become! I PROMISE. I have done both, and while breastfeeding is hard at first, it becomes better than what EPing is always. With EPing, you will be at the pump 12 times in 24 hours, around the clock, for months.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!