Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poop question

Default Poop question

My DS had a full week of daycare and took breastmilk by bottle during that time. Last night and this morning he had yellowish green poops that are smelly (a different smell than normal). The texture isn't different either. He is also acting normal.

I will be monitoring this over weekend but wanted to see if this is normal or could it be something I ate? I don't think it is frothy or green enough to indicate a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Poop question

how old is he? was he given anything besides EBM at daycare?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

He is 9 weeks and was not given formula; only breastmilk in the bottles.

Could he be sick? An infection (even a minor one) can cause a foul smelling poop and a change in color.

That said, yellowish green is still in the range of normal, so it may be nothing at all. I would just make sure daycare isn't giving him solids (assuming he's a newborn) and keep an eye on poops for a little while.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks. I know daycare isn't giving him solids. I trust them very much as my daughter went there as well.

I will continue to watch it this weekend. I was wondering about illness as well or being sensitive to something I ate.

It's probably nothing. If there is no fever, then I wouldn't worry too much about infection. Even if there is one, it may be minor enough that mama's milk and lots of hugs will be enough to clear it. Usually when there is a food allergy (which is pretty rare), poops are mucousy and bloody.

Don't stress yourself out about it. It doesn't sound like anything outside of normal variation.

Thanks! Knowing that color variation is normal, can the smell vary as well? Sorry for all these questions, I just don't remember from when I nursed my daughter 4 years ago.

I'm not sure what the rule of thumb is on smell, but my baby did have smellier poops on some days rather than others. I do think there can be some variation in smell. During certain illenesses there has been a really strong smell, but it has been really foul - to the point I've teared up. There was no mistaking it for normal.

I think there can also be a slight smell variation, but in general BM poop has that trademark sweet smell. I agree that foul smelling poop can be a virus, but possibly a super mild one.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language