Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 18 month old, problems latching?

Default 18 month old, problems latching?

My daughter is 18 months old, and has been breastfed since day one. We've had our share of issues: biting, slapping, and playing during feedings. Breastfeeding twice a day, then the next breastfeeding every five seconds. It hasn't always been enjoyable lol but I still cherish it.
    For the past couple weeks while she's nursing, I feel like she's not latched on properly. She also makes this sound like she's sucking water through a straw. Anyone know what could be causing this?
    First time mother to beautiful baby Melrose Marcene, born 11.30.10 - 7lbs9oz/ 20in

Default Re: 18 month old, problems latching?

Is she teething? Mine starts latching poorly (ouch) with every pulse of teething. He's 18 months and getting canines in now. I do a lot of repositioning and relatching, but it usually resolves once a tooth pops through.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Yeah, my first thought was teething as well. Or maybe she's sick and can't breathe well through her nose, making latching difficult? (An ear infection will also mess up latch.)

Are some positions better than others?

If nothing else seems wrong (no illness) I would just keep an eye on it and focus on nursing in positions that seem to create the best latch.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I second (or third lol) that it could definitely be teething. DD is 17.5 months now and her canines are starting to come up, swollen gums and bad latch. BUT, some days I think maybe she just gets lazy. She'd rather play, and grin up at me, than open her mouth wide.
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.
    Vyse, born April 17, 2013. 7lbs 3oz at birth, and absolutely perfect.
    Spending alot of time and .

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amees.mom View Post
    BUT, some days I think maybe she just gets lazy. She'd rather play, and grin up at me, than open her mouth wide.
    Mine gets lazy with his latch too. He likes to talk to me while he nurses now. Fortunately I only seem to get sore during the teething though, or I would be in big trouble because this kid has a whole lot to say!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Or maybe she's sick and can't breathe well through her nose, making latching difficult? (An ear infection will also mess up latch.)
    This is a good thought too. I think my son might have inherited a bit of my seasonal allergies, because since it's been warmer he has been getting a little stuffy and sneezy some days. That will mess up his latch sometimes too.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).