Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: re-freezing milk

Default re-freezing milk

someone on my fb mom's group just posted that the "regulations" have recently changed and you can re-freeze thawed milk. anyone know anything about this?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Default Re: re-freezing milk

I didn't think you were supposed to refreeze anything. I haven't seen anything specifically about this, but I'm a little skeptical.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

yeah, that's what i was thinking.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

It's not a good idea. The freezing process kills the antibacterial properties in the milk making the milk much more quickly perishable. So when you refreeze it you have now lost half of what is good in it and you have milk that will be pretty volatile.

Way too lazy for formula

Plus thawing and refreezing is known to foster growth of certain bacterial species/strains. Changed recommendations or not I would be reluctant to refreeze milk.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thawing and re-freezing anything that isn't cooked is a bad idea because of the bacteria (and really re-freezing fully cooked items isn't the greatest idea, either). I wouldn't do it, why would you want to? If you're freezing it in small quantities so baby can finish it within 24 hrs it shouldn't be an issue.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

i wouldn't do it either, and wouldn't want to, for all the reasons y'all have mentioned. but a mom on fb had accidentally thawed more than she needed and was asking about how long she could keep it for, and someone chimed in that she could re-freeze ...
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Horrible idea. I actually toss milk if it has been thawed and not used in a reasonable time frame.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yech, Some people are put off by this but, taste, it. If it doesn't taste good (which likely will not if unfrozen more than 36 hrs), needs to be tossed. Always rule of thumb for everything, not just ebm. It's pretty awesome stuff, but not magical.