Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preparing for baby, lots of breastfeeding questions

Default Re: Preparing for baby, lots of breastfeeding questions

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cassakane View Post
    So, is it possible, safe and healthy for me to express every 4 hours?
    This is entirely individual. But it very well may be okay. I taught a 4 hour class the semester after my baby was born, and pumping before and after worked out okay for me.

From what I have read, it seems like it would be best if we hold the baby or at least have the baby attached to us in a carrier for much of the day. Will that help?
    It will probably help a lot! Carrying my baby in a sling/carrier has saved my sanity pretty much daily! Even now at 18 months.

One more thing...my husband keeps dissuading me from buying my own pump. He says that the hospital will have pumps that I can rent. Will that be a professional or hospital grade pump? Is it better if I buy my own?
    Hospitals will have hospital grade pumps, which are fantastic - better suction and way more comfortable. However they are expensive to rent. Professional grade pumps are cheaper, and while they are effective they are often not quite as effective as hospital grade pumps. I think it probably just depends on you budget.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Oh yes you probably will leak on some one if restraining, particularly if you are "full" (of milk, and not just recently pumped). I'm thinking the adrenialin could cause leaking too-like um.....saying this trying to be polite, but even romance with hubby can make me leak. lol

As for carriers, for sure invest. I would get a moby or the kind with spandex, can't think of the name right now, I think sleepy wrap. ASAP. Those work best usually the first few months. I bought one for my SIL at a garage sale for only 10 dollars! (look on Craig's List!). After they gain some weight though then others are better. Right now I am loving my baby hawk oh snap. If you have a baby boutique (look online for your area you may be pleasantly surprised about what you have near you, we live in Kansas and have several boutiques, I was pleasantly surprised!) you could go and try them on after baby is here (I would have a moby or sleepy wrap bought ahead of time though cause those are cheaper investments and almost every one loes them with a newborn!, but the ones for bigger babies are much more expensive, and there's a lot of variety out there. And they are really really invidual, some people love one brand and others hate the same brand. So I would go to the boutique and find a local baby wearing group. At the boutiques they usually help you put them on correctly and let you wear them around the store a bit. At the groups many have been sponsored by the local boutiques and have a library of ones you can check out for a week or so till you find what works best for your baby. Again those kind are best to wait till baby is here and you can actually try on with baby. To see how you like the weight distrobution etc.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MagnoliaHoney View Post
    Oh yes you probably will leak on some one if restraining, particularly if you are "full" (of milk, and not just recently pumped). I'm thinking the adrenialin could cause leaking too-like um.....saying this trying to be polite, but even romance with hubby can make me leak. lol
    Actually, adrenaline will likely inhibit letdown. Milk tends to let down when a mom is releasing the hormone oxytocin and is feeling comfortable, relaxed, affectionate- which is why many moms leak during sex. I wouldn't worry much about leaking on people. At most you'll have milk spots on your shirt, which is why nursing pads were invented.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Everyone, thank you so much for your answers. I feel *so much* better about breastfeeding. I was so worried that it wasn't going to work out and I would not be able to breastfeed as long as I want to. I am going to do my very best to breastfeed as long as possible . Thanks for your wonderful advice .

In the beginning I had to take it just one day at a time. Before I knew it my son was turning 18 months and still nursing. I went back to work very early on, but only worked 2 days a week at that point and it was very doable.

Try not to stress out about these things - it's entirely possible that it will all be smooth sailing for you. And if not, you know where to come for help and support. You've done your homework on breastfeeding, so you are already a leg up on most new moms!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Joining late to the party, but want to add my thoughts.

You mention your supervisor is baby friendly, but you don't feel like you can take that many breaks for a year. Why don't you go into working asking for breaks every 3 hours, and do that for a few months. Then you can step it back to every 4 hours, as your body will be better adjusted to producing milk. Then you don't have to stress about making it to 1 year now. You can make it a few months, readjust your schedule, and keep going. (and this is coming from a mama who is nursing twins almost 13 months and didn't think I would make it 3 months).

You can do it!
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*toddlerandtwins View Post
    Joining late to the party, but want to add my thoughts.

You mention your supervisor is baby friendly, but you don't feel like you can take that many breaks for a year. Why don't you go into working asking for breaks every 3 hours, and do that for a few months. Then you can step it back to every 4 hours, as your body will be better adjusted to producing milk. Then you don't have to stress about making it to 1 year now. You can make it a few months, readjust your schedule, and keep going. (and this is coming from a mama who is nursing twins almost 13 months and didn't think I would make it 3 months).

You can do it!
    This. Excellent idea.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!