Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Some Random Almost One-Year Thoughts

Default Some Random Almost One-Year Thoughts

Well, I am almost to the one-year mark (June 1st) and I am so happy, but also sad! I am so ready to be done with pumping, and have already stopped pumping at night, but really enjoy the time with my little guy, so have no intention of stopping right away.

I am sort of feeling confused about the nursing and food thing, though. I nurse on demand and he is a snacker. He wakes up and nurses (0600), then usually nurses again an hour later (0700), then another hour or so later (0830), then again after his nap (around 11:30), then before his afternoon nap (2:00pm), then when he wakes up (4:00pm), and again before bed (6:00pm). He eats several solid meals, sometimes two, sometimes three, snacks, etc. He seems like he is nursing so often, still, and I would kind of like to drop it down to maybe morning, a couple times during the day, and once before bed. How do I go about that? Just offer him a snack or water/milk instead?

Another question, he has been sleeping through the night for about three weeks, and I am wondering if there is any rhyme or reason to when my cycle might start back up again. I am sure it is so different depending on the person, but I am curious as to whether it is usually after weaning completely, or just dropping nursing sessions. What has your experience been?

Thanks for the support that you provide- it has been tough working and pumping and breastfeeding, but I am SO glad that I made it to a year!

Default Re: Some Random Almost One-Year Thoughts

I also was confused by just how more frequently my LO wanted to nurse when he started eating solids. for us, eating solids did not replace breastfeeding. i came to appreciate his control over his needs, and he nursed well into toddlerhood.
    For some of my children, my cycle did not return until the nursing relationship ended completely. for others, my cycle returned at 18 months.
    My sister in law never even had her cycle return, she became pregnant when her lo was about 20 months old.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Default Re: Some Random Almost One-Year Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Meganmom View Post
    I am sort of feeling confused about the nursing and food thing, though. I nurse on demand and he is a snacker. He wakes up and nurses (0600), then usually nurses again an hour later (0700), then another hour or so later (0830), then again after his nap (around 11:30), then before his afternoon nap (2:00pm), then when he wakes up (4:00pm), and again before bed (6:00pm). He eats several solid meals, sometimes two, sometimes three, snacks, etc. He seems like he is nursing so often, still, and I would kind of like to drop it down to maybe morning, a couple times during the day, and once before bed. How do I go about that? Just offer him a snack or water/milk instead?
    It is common for babies to nurse really, really frequently around 12-13 months. My son was nursing 8-10x a day at that age. They are learning a whole lot of new things and the first set of molars start pushing up - which is miserable. If you can wait it out, then nursing will probably start winding down on it's own after a month or two.

If you want to be more proactive about it you can try to distract or offer a snack in place of nursing (but be prepared that this might be met with some tears when you are right in the middle of teething). Go slow with the weaning though. Try to drop one feeding at a time to avoid engorgement and a host of other potential issues that go with sudden weaning.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).