Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 week old. overfeeding?reflux? gas?

Default 1 week old. overfeeding?reflux? gas?

My baby is one week old. After 50% of feedings, she spits up, not your average amount either. Today, she spat up thick curdled milk and it seemed to be about 2oz plus!

Is there anything I can do early on to prevent this from happening. I am terrified, she will turn into a fussy gassy baby. She doesn't seem like she is in pain between feedings, and sleeps very well.

Whats going on???!!!

Default Re: 1 week old. overfeeding?reflux? gas?

If there isn't any pain and everything else seems fine, then I woudn't worry about it. My baby spit up huge amounts constantly when he was a newborn. I had a receiving blanket draped over me at all times back then, because a burp cloth wasn't even close to being large enough to protect me from the spewing. It wasn't fun, but it was perfectly normal. Keeping your baby upright for awhile after feedings can help a little, but for us there was still copious amounts of spit up.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

When baby is growing normally and is not in pain when spitting up, spit-up is a laundry problem, not a health problem. The amounts may appear quite large, but generally are not as big as moms think. To get a sense of how much is really coming back up, pour an oz of milk (cow's milk, please!) on the counter. You'll probably realize that a small amount of milk looks like quite a bit more when it's spilled everywhere. The appearance of the milk itself changes based on how long it has been in baby's tummy. If the baby has just nursed, the spit-up will appear thin and milky. If it has been a while since baby last fed, the spit-up will appear chunky or cheesy.

Spit-up and fussiness/gassiness have very little relation to each other. Don't worry that you're somehow causing or failing to prevent these very normal baby issues. They are pretty much beyond your control.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Don't worry that you're somehow causing or failing to prevent these very normal baby issues. They are pretty much beyond your control.
    Truer words have never been written! You can make yourself crazy trying to fix things that are normal and neither need to nor can be fixed. Try to relax and enjoy your brand new baby!

Oh and you can't over feed a breast fed baby (except by bottle), so certainly don't worry about that!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

thank you ladies! so encouraging