Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weaning by end of September?

Default Re: weaning by end of September?

Is he teething? Mine has needed to nurse all. the. time. through molars and canines. He also nurses a lot right before a spate of new words and sentences. You might want to wait it out a bit before initiating weaning because nursing my wane a bit on its own.

I do think that getting out of the house and having lots of activities going helps distract from nursing some too.

You've got a few months yet, so don't get too despondent right now. Just work on distracting him from one session right now. It may take some time, but you two will find a way to make this work.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Sorry it has taken so long for me to reply, my internet was being difficult and I was without off and on for the last couple days and I have been in training at work so I couldn't reply from there.
    I don't mind long term nursing. I had planned, after he turned 1 and still seemed so small, to go until 2. I never even thought I would nurse at all, and here I am thinking I will nurse until 2 ;-). The thing is with this trip in septrmber I want to make sure he is weaned before I go so there isn't the cold turkey thing, even though it will be before the 2 years I now have in my head for weaning. . I don't want to cause him more trauma than he already will have. But the thing is, I don't know how long the teething process should take (and therefore when I should start).
    He is teething. He actually seems really good with pain. He got his first molar in and hadn't even been acting strange, just one day my brother said he saw a new tooth. It came in before any of the canines did, so I wasn't expecting it. He had two more molars within a week. His 4th molar has been coming in and swollen, without breaking through for nearly a month since the 3rd finished coming in. It looks close to being cut through though. But he is also getting the top two canines now and is really fussy all day and wants to just sit for a long time comfort nursing. I decided to let him nurse all he wants until the teeth are through after seeeing the canines swollen yesterday. Also, he has been talking up a storm, learning at least a couple words a day, even saying whole phrases (where's the duck?). He has seriously doubled or tripled his vocabulary since Sunday.
    The odd thing is that he is sleeping longer at night the last 2 nights than he ever has before, and having 2 naps for 2 hours a time. I haven't given him tylenol more than just before he goes to bed (last night when I saw the swollen gums), so I am amazed at his good sleeping.
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

The first set of molars comes in before the canines. Then they get the second set of molars. At least that was my experience with Lilah and seems to be holding true with Beatrix. You could get him down to one or two nursing sessions and then play it by ear when you get back from your trip. At 20 months he will not expect to nurse if you are not there. He will be able to accept different forms of comfort from other people.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    The first set of molars comes in before the canines. Then they get the second set of molars. At least that was my experience with Lilah and seems to be holding true with Beatrix. You could get him down to one or two nursing sessions and then play it by ear when you get back from your trip. At 20 months he will not expect to nurse if you are not there. He will be able to accept different forms of comfort from other people.
    I think this is really smart and probably te best way to go. This has also been my experience with the teeth so far (I am dreading that second set of molars).

It sounds like your son is almost done with the first set of molars. My son got a short break from teething in between the molars and canines. Although the area above the canines did swell while he was still getting his molars, it didn't give him too much trouble until they started pushing through a couple months later.

Your son's nursing intensity might decline some once that last molar pokes through (at least that was my experience); so hang in there.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

YOu also don't have to wean. If by 20 months he is eating solids well and you are only nursing a couple of times a day it's TOTALLY possible to go away for a week and come back and have your child latch and get milk. I don't think after a week away I would be able to deny a child that crawled into my lap and wanted to reconnect in our special way. I mean MAYBE he would not crawl in your lap and you could totally practice Don't offer Don't refuse. But I doubt it. And I don't think it will be hard for him without you there at all. Babies know that when their mother is not there there is no milk. He won't expect to be nursed down by your DH. I mean there may be spots where he is missing you and missing nursing. But at no point will expect anyone else to nurse him down.

Way too lazy for formula