Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitas and extremly painful nipples

Default Mastitas and extremly painful nipples

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and to being a mom to my beautiful 4 week old daughter. I have exclusivly nursed her and want to continue but last week the pain was so bad I finally called the hospital lactation department to ask for help, I was running a fever and felt like my breast were sunburned. They told me I had mastitas and gave me penacilian and told me to keep nursing, pumping if I have too. I pumped for 2 days and then switched back and forth from bottles and nursing, thankfully my daughter did well with switching. I would like to only use a bottle when the occasion calls for it but last night when she nursed I felt like my nipple had needles in it and I currently can't really hug my husband, I can't stand any pressure on my breast. I want to continue nursing, I love this bond I have with my daughter but if this pain continues it will be hard too. I have hurt every since starting almost a month ago but last night and a few other times it has hurt so bad for her to latch on that I am sitting there crying the entire time. If someone has any info or help please let me know, as I said I love this bond with her but its hard to bond when I am in so much pain.

Default Re: Mastitas and extremly painful nipples

Welcome to the forum!

I can't believe the hospital lactation department prescribed you antibiotics over the phone. You probably did have mastitis, but still, my doc always wants to take a look before writing a scrip.

At this point, I think that there is a strong possibility that you may have thrush (a yeast infection that is not in the "usual" place). Thrush is common after a course of antibiotics and can cause pain which may be described as burning, stinging, or needle-like.

Can you tell us a few more things? For example:
    - How does it feel when baby latches on? Are you in pain immediately, or does the pain start only later in the feeding or perhaps after the feeding is over?
    - Do your nipples appear misshapen (creased, wedged, ridged, or shaped like new lipsticks) after baby finishes nursing?
    - Do you have any cracks, and if so, are they small and slit-like, perhaps radiating around the nipple, or large and gaping?
    - Do you see any of the following: nipple skin appears more red/pink than normal, shiny, dry, or flaking skin, white patches on the nipple or in baby's mouth?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

yeah I thought is was a bit odd also, but it was an on call Dr. I know my Dr. would have wanted to see me also.

-The pain starts immediately with the needles, the burning starts after she is finished and can last until the next feeding..... both of these are only when I nurse and not with the pump.
    -The look of my nipples can go from normal to all bunched up and leathery, and a little pointed when she comes off.... but when she latches she doesn't let go
    -there are small cracks and I also have a few bumps also
    -and they are more purple/red not really anything else I do use lanolin after everytime though.

Okay, based on what you describe I am thinking that you probably have a case of thrush. Common symptoms include burning pain that occurs primarily after feeding, small, slit-like cracks, blisters, and redder skin on the nipple. A vaginal yeast infection may co-occur. Since the description matches so well, I think you should see your doctor, and your baby's pediatrician, and discuss the possibility. See the pediatrician because nipple thrush in mom is associated with oral thrush in baby. If you and your doc(s) conclude that this is thrush, make sure that both you and baby are treated even if baby is asymptomatic, since it is common for one member of the nursing pair to fail to display symptoms though both are infected.

If this is thrush, avoid Lanolin- that seals in moisture and thrush thrives on moisture.

In addition, take a look at this link on vasospasm: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/. Vasospasm can cause a burning pain after feeding and can also cause nipples to appear purple or blanched. It would be consistent with the "pointed" nipples you describe, which imply that baby has a somewhat shallow latch and is compressing the nipple as she feeds. Compression often causes vasospasms.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"