Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice to new "leaky" mom

Default Re: Advice to new "leaky" mom

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I slept with a Towel AND breast pads for the first three months.
    Me too. Every night.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vtmtbkr View Post
    I'm assuming she has a small milk capacity (she's a really tiny person) and has to empty every 2 hours.
    Size has nothing to do with it. I'm small and I could pump 8-10 ounces in addition to nursing during the first several months. I was nursing every 1-2 hours early on and I still leaked huge amounts of milk. Some of us are just leakier than others.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks for responding! She's 6 weeks from delivery and already sleeping on piddle pads. Here's the following advice I gave her. I know you all advise against the pump but if using it will get her further along she might as well know the bast way to do it in the first months.

You either have to feed or pump when the baby is hungry...never both. Pumping after a full sucessful feeding creates oversupply and is telling your body to make more milk.

Milk supply regulates after 12 weeks. Before then it is still fluctuating and increasing as to how much the baby is eating.

You have to pump or breast feed every time the baby is hungry to empty and help with the leaking. There is really no option to skip a feeding and not expect to be engourged and leaky.

If you skip a feeding and pump instead you want to pump at least 15 minutes or until the last milk stops flowing. IE..you're empty. You may end up with more then the baby will eat in one single feeding so it can be divided into more then one bottle.

As for the leaking, I've read that many mothers with this problem sleep on multiple towels and with multiple breast pads and just have to deal with it until their milk supply regulates with what the baby is consuming. You more then likely had some degree of oversupply and over active let-down. There are ways to control and deal with this in the long term.

Knowing her, she's not going to stick with it but I'm hoping a little advice will at least help her for the time she does commit to. I don't know what advice to give her about the PPD. She pulled out of it last time at about 3-4 weeks but was pretty down in the beginning.
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

Nursing our new addition Jordan Catherine born 10/21/12 at 7 lbs 14 oz.

Total donated milk so far - 1,368 ounces!

As expected she didn't have the drive to do it. She quit at 9 days. :-(
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

Nursing our new addition Jordan Catherine born 10/21/12 at 7 lbs 14 oz.

Total donated milk so far - 1,368 ounces!

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Just wanted to add...I had my placenta encapsulated (this is my 2nd LO) and I felt so much better this time around. Stopped bleeding around day 10 PP, had pretty decent energy, tons of milk and wasn't sore after the 3rd day PP. I recommend it!