Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Seasonal allergies

Default Seasonal allergies

Ugh! This time of year is so beautiful, yet it is the worst! I have bad allergies to pollen/trees and am going nuts with itchy, runny eyes, nose and sore throat. Typically, I would take Zyrtec (OTC med) for only a week or two until it Passes. Any info on safe mess while bf??
    happy mama of stella 10-11-02, eli (5-3-06), and jude (2-28-12)

Default Re: Seasonal allergies

That is supposed to say meds!! Sorry!
    happy mama of stella 10-11-02, eli (5-3-06), and jude (2-28-12)

best place for meds information is infantrisk.com. i just checked and zyrtec (and claritin) are in the recommended-for-nursing category (as opposed to the oldfashioned antihistamines). you can also call them for individualized medications support.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

kellymom also has some good information information on allergy medications

I've found a neti pot can be super helpful with allergies for me.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

oh, yeah, and local (super super local) honey, a T./day on toast, kept me off claritin until march, and i never had to even look at the steroid nasal spray this year! big fan.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

If you want to go drug free: Agree on the Neti Pot, but make sure you use bottled water and not tap water with it, if you decide to go that route. Saline eye drops will help flush the pollen etc. out of your eyes. Never heard of the honey remedy, but give that a try too.

If you need to use the drugs (which I do): Claritin is the most recommended antihistamine for nursing mothers because it has not been shown to be excreted in breast milk, though Zyrtec has. However, as long as it's not Zyrtec-D, you're still pretty OK. Steroid nasal sprays, like Flonase, really haven't been tested in breast milk, however their levels in the blood are so so so low that their level in breast milk would be negligible, if at all. But yes, go to infantrisk and/or consult your pediatrician or GP for further advice.