Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stopped BF for a week, can I start again?

Default Stopped BF for a week, can I start again?

Hello, my son will be four weeks old on wednesday and for the last week I have been formula feeding because I was so discouraged with breast feeding. I would like to give it another go but I'm not sure if I can pick up BF again since I stopped a week ago. Has anybody successfully restarted BF? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Default Re: Stopped BF for a week, can I start again?

Yes, you can absolutely restart nursing! Plenty of moms do- we have lots of them here, and my own mom did it after being forced to take a 3 month break from breastfeeding due to some medical issues.

Start by putting the baby to the breast as often as possible, and topping up with formula (or, preferably, expressed milk) as necessary. Keep the amounts in the supplemental bottles small, no more than 2 oz. If possible, pump after feedings to increase supply. Also, check out this link on how to wean from formula supplements: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/

Can you tell us why you got so discouraged with nursing? Maybe we can offer some insight, maybe even some assistance, on any issues you were having.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

YES! You most certainly can. Mommal gave you some great advice already. I would just lay around topless and baby in a diaper for a couple of days. Relive the birth process and bathe with the baby.

I would also love to know what you were discourage about so we can help with it not discouraging you again.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Thanks for the advice! I became discouraged because of a few things. First I'm rather busty (F cup) and I felt like I needed ten hands just to position the baby and my breast correctly. He would also break the latch and pull back and then immediately suck just the nipple back into his mouth which was extremely painful, especially on my right breast, I had a really deep crack that just wasn't healing and when I went to a lactation consultant through our hospital she told me to just keep nursing and that it would heal on its own but it just seemed to get worse. When he initially latches he does it correctly but within a few minutes is when he starts breaking the latch and trying to use just the nipple. Another thing that I'm having difficulty with is that he is a very slow eater, even on the bottle this last week it takes him an hour to eat barely 3 oz. I have a two year old and it's very hard to care for her while I'm constantly nursing him, and by the time he is done nursing he is wanting to eat again within 10-20 minutes and that includes all night long so I'm massively sleep deprived and trying to figure out how to care for my daughter as well....It probably doesn't help being hormonal either...lol...I'm going to give it another try though!

You can definitely go back! One week isn't that long and you may be able to get back to exclusively breastfeeding if you're patient and diligent about it!

Given your prior problems, however, I would definitely look into seeing a (different!) lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, who can help you with your latch issues and come up with an action plan to restarting breastfeeding. I would start making some calls ASAP. If you live in a metropolitan area, you may be able to do some internet research on the best lactation consultants around - they are definitely not all equal.

In the long run, breastfeeding is easier and will give you more time with your older child than bottle feeding. Right now, you are on a learning curve, though, so it's normal for things to feel more difficult. Definitely get some one-on-one help with latching! The slow eating and cracked nipples could point to a latch problem, and if you could overcome that, you might find breastfeeding gets easier, fast.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.