Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pulling and stretching

Default Re: Pulling and stretching

This is a common problem of this age’s baby. It happened at the time of baby teething. I prefer to try nursing him “uphill”. It helps a lot.

My DD did that off and on for a long time. I think it stopped around 8 weeks (everything seems to get better around then!). I was not able to walk and breastfeed -- we tried a few methods, but she was opposed to any sort of carrier at that point and was very picky about her breastfeeding positions. Unfortunately, sometimes we just had to take her off and we'd walk around with her and try again in a little bit, hoping she'd calmed down by then. She also had colic, but normally she did not tug at that point, but just cried and didn't want to eat. Just be careful of letting the tug and pull too much, because I was getting lots of damage and it made nursing painful. They do eventually stop doing it. But then there's biting to contend with!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Thanks all. Every time he does it I pull him off and switch sides, that seems to have helped.

awesome. hang in there!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

bens.mommy - do you ever have to switch sides more than once in a single feeding?
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

Yeah I do switch sides during 1 feed. Originally I didn't but then I took advice from a lactation consultant at our hospital and started limiting our little one to nurse 20 minutes on each side....ever since then I've had breastfeeding issues.