Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pulling off

Question Pulling off

We have been working on an oversupply issue. Now that it seems my supply is going down a bit. I just don't know what to do without constantly engorged boobies and it seems like baby doesn't either. She does this mostly on my left side which has always been below average in comparison to my right. If I have a let down she goes for it with a gusto. Once the flow stops she starts pulling off and latching back on with what seems like great frustration. I am assuming it is because the milk is just not flowing like a faucet as she feels it should. Is there anything I can do for this? If I wait long enough (which I always do) there is another letdown and she is happy one again. But, it is time consuming and I have a feeling that if she would just suck instead of pulling off, I would have another letdown quicker.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Default Re: Pulling off

I noticed that when I stopped leaking as much & being constantly engorged after about the 4 month mark, DD did something similar, with lots more pulling off and generally nursing for shorter stretches. I probably would have had a quicker second let down as well if she stayed on, but she would pop on and off, I think waiting to see when it would be flowing again. (She still does this, BTW.) I started switching her back and forth from one side to the other a lot during each feeding because I found she'd hang on to the new breast for a while longer and often would get a let down quicker. If you're block feeding (as I seem to remember from some of your previous posts) obviously you wouldn't go that route. I also just take the opportunity to enjoy my baby's company when she does this. Between latch ons, we smile at each other, make faces, give her little fingers kisses, you name it. It makes the feeding take longer, but it's a nice way to pass the time!

Congratulations for sticking with this and for all the success you're having! I must admit, I don't think I would have had the stamina that you have!!!

Thanks! My little one's name is Lili, too.

You are right, I am running into a problem with the block feeding. My 1st instinct would be to pump for more milk but I have learned the hard way that that isn't going to help in the right way. She is also nursing for shorter sessions like you said and the past 3 nights she has slept 8-9 hours so now I am wondering if she is eating enough. This is just tough no matter what I do! LOL!

I do enjoy the time we have together but it has gotten quite stressful recently as 5 of my others are all sick. Not a whole lot of extra time to sit and wait for milk. I wish I had an on/off valve. LOL!

Thanks for your input!

Holy cow, I can barely keep my stuff together with one sick kid (though my husband is pretty child-like when he doesn't feel well so maybe I can count two children when they're both sick), much less 5 of them! You're my new hero! Hang in there, I'm sure you'll get past this roadblock too!

Have you tried doing breast compressions to try to keep the flow going? Maybe that might help.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

I was going to say breast compressions also, it really seems to help ds stay interested!

I'm having some of the same issues right now. I've been block feeding 3-4 hours trying to tame an overactive letdown and a slight oversupply problem (but nothing as severe as yours). Now in the evening I just had something of a wrestling match with my cranky 11-week old son who clearly wasn't satisfied that my milk wasn't flowing freely. My supply seems really low in the evening. On the other hand, I think it has been improving slightly lately, as now I can feel the second (and sometimes third or fourth) letdown, when I never could before. (I feel the letdowns as a tingling in the unursed breast, followed by a pick up in swallowing). I'm hoping that he is learning gradually to be more patient and work for his food. But I'm also worried that my supply maybe dropping too much in the unnursed breast each cycle. When I feel the subsequent letdowns, they don't seem to lead to sustained sucking, just a few seconds of picked up pace and then it seems to dry up again. So I'm in the same boat and would be interested in any suggestions.