Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Timing on each Brest help!

Default Timing on each Brest help!

My son is 13 days old and feeds on one breast 20-40 min and then falls asleep, he does not make it to the other side (I start w/that other side at nxt feeding) Is this ok or should I pull him off at a certain time to try and make him feed on the other side??? Also is he even getting milk that whole time when he's on for 40 mins? Does your breast run out of milk?

Default Re: Timing on each Brest help!

He's probably comfort nursing after awhile and doesn't necessarily want a lot of milk. I would just leave him to nurse on that breast as long as he likes, then use the other breast at the next feeding. Your breast never runs out of milk, but it does get more difficult to extract after a letdown. If he wants more milk he'll probably start to fuss and you can then offer the other breast.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I agree with PP

my newborn did the same thing - (still does sometimes she's 8 weeks) they can definitely get enough from one breast but obviously you want him feeding from two, but he'll get there he's only little - still learning - and as PP said - if he's still hungry you can switch him to the other but I wouldn't switch him, he probably gets a great amount of fore and hind milk so he might just be full and satisfied; you'll soon know if he isn't!

Ps: I'm not sure if that's the right use of the old ';' but i thought I'd try it there anyway - can never figure the semi colon out!

We call what you are doing "watching baby, not the clock," "following babies cues", and letting baby "finish the first breast first." This is exactly what we recommend mommas do because research has shown this helps breastfeeding get established best. Making baby nurse on both sides every time is only recommended if baby is not gaining (pooping) enough and it appears to be a milk supply issue.

If baby is nursing with good frequency, at least 10-12 times per 24 hour day, how long baby nurses each time and if baby switches sides etc. is much less important. Babies tend in general to nurse longer at this age, he is nursing for many reasons but it's important to let him go as long as he wants in general. Nursing sessions will become shorter as baby gets older and more efficient. If he is pooping enough all is most likely well.

I think this article is helpful: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/