Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just when things were finally starting to go well

Unhappy just when things were finally starting to go well

My son is nearly 3 months old now (so i thought i should post here, seeing as he is no longer going to be classified as a newborn in a few days)

When we first started nursing, it was HORRIBLE! Scabbed, bleeding nipples, followed by a severe thrush infection that went untreated for a week, then mastitis, poor latch...ugh! It finally got better and we have been breastfeeding well for nearly 6 weeks.

But all of a sudden, breastfeeding has taken a turn for the worse.

Nursing has become so painful that my teeth chatter when he latches on. While my son nurses, he flails his arm around, yanking at my hair, my shirt, clawing at the breast and pounding on my chest. He twists his head from side to side while nursing, lets go, relatches himself....its getting SO painful!
    At first i thought "okay, maybe its when my milk lets down" but he does it throughout the entire nursing session! And on both sides!
    I've tried every position in the book, from having him nurse sitting up, cross cradle, football, side lying. The pain isn't as bad as when i had thrush but it is similar to when i first started to breastfeed.

He nurses about every 2 hours during the day and goes for about 4 hours at night. It used to be he was only fussy while nursing if he was gassy and it was only during the evening...now its every. single. time he nurses. Except for those extremely rare occasions when he is quiet and calm and tucks in nicely while feeding. Each feeding takes anywhere from 10-30 mins and I let him finish before removing him from the breast.

I've also been starving myself trying to figure out what might be causing his gas and colic. I've cut out dairy, eggs, soy, caffiene, "gassy" foods like brocolli, etc...to see if it helps his fussiness while nursing but it hasn't.

I just don't know what to do. What would cause my nipples to start hurting so much? I'm pretty sure its not thrush because I've had it before and my nipples only hurt when he nurses. His latch looks fine. And why is he so fussy while nursing now? We were doing so well and it makes me sad and kinda start to dread nursing because of the way he acts.

Default Re: just when things were finally starting to go well

Hey mama, I am so sorry your post got overlooked. How are things going now?

Your post has me :headscratch. When a mama reports pain cropping up after a several weeks-long or months-long period of trouble-free nursing, my first instinct is to think thrush. But you have had that before and you seem pretty sure that this pain is different. I guess at this point I'd want to see a lactation consultant- get checked out for thrush, see if there's anything about baby's latch that seems off. Do your nipples ever appear creased/wedged after nursing? They might resemble new lipsticks.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My first thought was also thrush. I'd probably do a traatment for it just in case, some something may be off about the latch too. How strange. Could he be teething?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hi Brie,

I am also experiencing similar things. BF started with much Difficulty then it went so well with baby sleeping 6h stretch at night without feed. However when Baby was 3+, he started getting distracted during BF. He would turn his head at every hint of noise or movement in the room. Checked some website n they recommended BF when he's sleepy. Did that n was successful for a while when this plan seems to backfire on me. Now he's 4mth old. Daytime he'd snack feed 5-10mins only on 1side, every 1.5-3h. Even this, unless he is sleepy, he'd usually cry, fuss, before latching on. From 8pm, his bedtime, he'd feed n wake up every 3-4hours for a feed.
    So daytime I have less time cos I need to watch for his hunger cues n feed him on his demand. Nighttime I have shorter sleep stretches... I am getting frustrated n hope to get some advice.

Hi letitia, welcome!

we can definitely give you some advice, but it'd be best if you start your own thread so things don't get too mixed up.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*letitiachua View Post
    Now he's 4mth old. Daytime he'd snack feed 5-10mins only on 1side, every 1.5-3h. Even this, unless he is sleepy, he'd usually cry, fuss, before latching on. From 8pm, his bedtime, he'd feed n wake up every 3-4hours for a feed.
    So daytime I have less time cos I need to watch for his hunger cues n feed him on his demand. Nighttime I have shorter sleep stretches... I am getting frustrated n hope to get some advice.
    This is normal feeding behavior for a 4 month old. Mine nursed 1-2 hours around the clock at that age. It is very, very common for babies to wake more frequently at 4 months. It often improves with age, so it's best to just roll with it. Increased fussiness is also common at 4 months. Some sources even have a name for it - the four month fussies. My baby was an absolute monster at that age. To deal with fussiness I nursed in motion (while walking, rocking, bouncing), took him for walks in a sling/carrier, and warm baths. But honestly, he just needed to grow out of it.

Nothing you did previously brought this on. It is just something that happens. My baby went back to his happy self around 5 months.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things to deal with this - watching for hunger cues during the day and nursing at night. Remember that it will pass, and keep up the good work!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

His latch looks okay and my nipples aren't creased or looking like lipstick (they did when he has a poor latch) My nipples are actually quite bruised looking...they are completely black and blue and tender.

Oh, we did get it confirmed today by his pediatrician that he is teething as well. He was extremely fussy and cried for about 12 hours straight a few days ago....and has hardly ate or slept the past 3 days. When i looked at his gums the other day, i could see a tooth! I gently rubbed some teething gel on it and there was a sharp white bump. Its the eye tooth thats coming through.

I don't know if he is maybe doing the "shallow latch" thing he was doing for a few weeks when he was around 1 1/2 months old.

Ouch on those bruises! Teething can temporarily mess with latch, but that sounds pretty extreme! Have you tried giving him ibuprofen or acetaminophen for the teething pain? You can try letting him chew on a cold washcloth or teething ring before he nurses too. I always need to relatch and reposition my baby throughout the day during every bout of teething to help with the latch.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

The Hylands Teething Tablets work wonders. I've had luck finding them at Walgreens. Hang in there, mama.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Hi Auderey, Phi,

Thanks for the info n advice. U r right.. It seems to be a phase. Now on 'good' days he will feed on both breasts n last abt 3-4h in the day n night. Still there r fussy days like today when he's more distracted n will only feed a little n come back in 1-2h. Less biting/pulling out too.
    I hope it will continue to get better when he reaches 5mths.