Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's probably normal, but I'm gonna ask anyway

Default Re: It's probably normal, but I'm gonna ask anyway

so, how much is DS nursing? how much is he eating? what kind of schedule? because i think there are some things you can do to subtly encourage or discourage nursing.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

OH OK! It's a one year old. Got it. By a year I wouldn't worry AT ALL. Your milk supply is completely regulated by then. Your baby at this point could nurse as little as 3-5 times in a 24hour period(up and down for nap and bed only) and you would be able to feed on demand AND even at that rate it's enough milk for you not to stress or worry about replacing it.

Way too lazy for formula

Well, he nurses during the night and early morning (sometimes once, sometimes more, sometimes a LOT haha!!) . Usually he takes a short feed just before I take them to daycare again. I work till 1, and 50% of the time he'll bf when I get to his daycare to fetch him and his sister at. Then maybe once in the afternoon and later at night before bedtime. It suddenly sounds like a lot of breastfeeding, but it's a lot less than what it used to be. I know it's supposed to be like this now, but I think it's just getting to me that they grow up way too fast. Like in the afternoon he'll want to bf, but he takes a few sips and he's off again, chasing around after his sister or playing or whatever. He's eating solids well, and started feeding himself last week.

Thanks for the answers and reassurement.
    I'm Althea, proud mommy to DS (26July1996) DD (12June1998) DD (25March2010) and DS (22May2011)

Still and and being a mom

i would say this is normal, but there are athings you can do to encourage him NOT weaning fast - like offer to nurse every time you pick him up from daycare, and every time before meals. my 11.5 month old will ask to nurse and take a few sips and tear off again, but 2 mins later if i'm still there he's back. he can get a full nursing in like this over a half hour. good luck!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

What you describe sounds very normal for that age. It is very likely, as I said before, that he will start nursing a lot more, for much longer periods really soon. Particularly once those molars start workin their way up. Ever baby is an individual so it is possible this won't happen, but it is very, very common for babies to start nursing much more frequently after a year. My son downright refused to comfort nurse as an infant. Sometime between 12-13 months, he started comfort nursing all. the. time. Seriously, he would nurse like a newborn some days!

Hang in here. I bet this resolves itself pretty soon, and in the mean time djs.mom is right - as long as you are doing a little bit of nursing your milk supply will remain intact.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).