Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Handling engorgement and OALD when LO sleeping longer?

Default Handling engorgement and OALD when LO sleeping longer?

My LO is 8 weeks and normally feeds every 1.5-2 hours around the clock. I have OALD and have adjusted positions which has helped quite a lot. I also returned to work full time this week and pump more than he takes at daycare.

For about a week, he has been sleeping a longer stretch at night--3 hours. Well, last night he slept for 6 hours before waking. I was uncomfortable but didn't think I should pump. When he woke up, I fed him in the side lying position which is normal. When he finished, he had a lot of projectile spit up within 3 minutes. I typically do not burp him at night and that hasn't happened before. I did end up pumping the other side since I was so uncomfortable (just 5 minutes until I felt a little less uncomfortable).

My question: how do I handle the transition of STTN with OALD? And how long until body adjusts to longer stretches between feelings?

Default Re: Handling engorgement and OALD when LO sleeping longer?

A mom with OALD handles the STTN transition just the way any other mom does: she either puts up with the engorgement and discomfort, or she hand-expresses just enough to restore comfort. Either way her body eventually reduces supply, more rapidly if she chooses the first option, more slowly if she chooses the second. There's no way to predict how long this process of supply reduction will take- it could be just a few days, it could be longer.

Baby may be a bit more uncomfortable after feeding while this is going on, but it will pass. Promise.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Handling engorgement and OALD when LO sleeping longer?

Thank you!