Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help: Freaking out...blood in stool!

Default Help: Freaking out...blood in stool!

Hey Ladies!
    Okay I was just changing LO diaper and as I was, he started pooing..it was green and had bloody mucousy stuff in it!!! I looked it up and I don't know what is going on? Is this an oversupply problem again??/He has never had blood before! I havn't eaten anything weird today...I am going to call the dr. right away...but thought maybe someone would have some insight! He is otherwise happy...smiling away...looks normal, maybe a little warm...I am will do his temp...oh my gosh...this is really freakingn my out...trying to stay calm.

Default Re: Help: Freaking out...blood in stool!

Yes, calm down sweetie. It's not as nearly as bad as it seems to find blood in their poo. It usually indicates a food sensitivity ... namely, dairy. Especially in green, mucousy stools.

Dr. Jay Gordon says:

Red streaked stools
    This usually comes from bleeding in the lower intestine or rectum. Most often it is caused by rectal fissures which are tiny "cuts" around the circumference of the anus. This can be a reaction to dairy in mom's diet. Elimination of all dairy is the first line of defense in this situation. I have seen countless babies who had blood in their poop which resolved when mom stopped all dairy products and returned with even a small amount of milk or cheese. Other dietary changes may be needed for breastfeeding moms. Formula fed babies lose blood from the lower intestine when they drink cow milk formula and some have the same losses on soy formula. Occasionally, this "micro-hemorrhaging" can become visible as blood streaking on the surface of the stool. Persistent or increasing blood in the stool or blood mixed with mucus (described as "currant jelly" stool in the texts) requires an immediate call to your doctor.

to you!!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Annie beat me to it, but here is another link that may make you feel better.

KellyMom

I'm sure you are freaked out, but it is usually nothing to worry about. Keep an eye on his behavior and demeanor.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by paint-the-moon View Post
    Persistent or increasing blood in the stool or blood mixed with mucus (described as "currant jelly" stool in the texts) requires an immediate call to your doctor.[/INDENT]

to you!!
    What does this mean?? It is jellyish I think!! I called the dr. and talked to a nurse and she said to save it in a bag and put it in the fridge!! So I did...she said call the doc in the morning and see if he wants to see it. WHat does it mean if it is this currant jelly blood??? I am trying to stay calm...if I repeat that maybe I will...also he has no temp. and is laughing and smiling...so that is good right?

Also, if lo isn't allergic to dairy, it might be overactive letdown or too much foremilk. DD had this issue, well, I had this issue lol. Once I started to letdown into a cloth diaper, so she wouldn't choke on it, it got better, and after we tamed my supply, it has been good since.

When this happens over 75% of the time it is a dairy issue. Good news is a little blood is not a terrible thing, as long as baby is not anemic, growing well and meeting their milestones... Also dairy allergies can be outgrown... Have you ever had a colicky baby? More acne prone than normal, high needs? Come on down to the allergy section and take a look around. Hang in there Brittan

I found some info that you might find helpful. Note: I'm not posting this to freak you out. I simply thought that a picture of what "currant jelly" stools looked like might be helpful.

Here are some photos of "currant jelly" stools:
    http://www.virtualpediatrichospital....ase05.01.shtml
    http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/images/399PEDINTUS.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by home executive View Post
    I found some info that you might find helpful. Note: I'm not posting this to freak you out. I simply thought that a picture of what "currant jelly" stools looked like might be helpful.

OH. MY. GOOD. GOD. I'm glad I already finished eating dinner.
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; November 13th, 2006 at 11:35 PM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thank you. I know you are not trying to freak me out...but now I kinda am The second picture is hard to see...but I don't know...well he had another poopy with no blood but still green...so if this was a real problem would there keep being blood?? I am so scared... He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms like drawing up the legs and screaming...ohhh...what should I do?
    It definitely was not like the first picture!
    Quote Originally Posted by home executive View Post

It can be really scary when you find blood in LOs stool, I know, I've been there, but try not to worry too much. I went off dairy and it eventually cleared up in a couple of weeks. But it was so stressful, I know how you must feel. Just try to relax, easier said than done. It's good he doesn't seem to be in pain, that's a good sign. I am sure he'll be fine!