Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreamfeeding my striking 6 month old

Default Dreamfeeding my striking 6 month old

Okay, so we're still here doing our thing. I am still spraying. [sigh] She's still refusing or latching on frantically and popping off multiple times, and then latching on after the spraying stops and it's just dripping and then popping off again. Mad there's no milk, mad when there is.

But I am just wondering about how many times I need to feed her. And about a baby's instincts in their sleep. These are the things I always wonder about while she's nursing.

She's six months old and doesn't sleep as much as she did, plus sometimes she wakes up as I'm nursing her or as I'm rolling her back to her bed. And sometimes something random happens like my toddler breaks through the babygate and comes crashing down the hardwood floor hall pounding "mama" on the door and the baby wakes up. And I am choking back tears and rage at both of them.

But anyway, sometimes she goes as much as six hours without a decent feed. Last weekend she went 7 hours without even a little bit of a feed. But I killed myself the rest of the day getting 8 nursings into her.

BUT she DOES NOT do this at night. At night I nurse her every 2 or 3 hours, so I don't sweat the long stretches during the day too bad. She's a little fussy and antsy when it happens, and it sucks because I have to wake up 3 times a night. But she's still exclusively breastfed, and many 6 month olds are waking up that often again anyway, so I try to have the right attitude.

My question tho is this. Are those long stretches of time during the day hurting her weight gain?? Our milk supply? She's more active during the day obviously, really active actually, so I worry she's burning through her day calories sometimes. And everything I read says that night nursing helps maintain your supply anyway. Is this anything to worry about? At all?

And the number of feedings... Lately, it's kinda hard to hit 8. :/

And if she runs purely on instinct in her sleep and at night, AND I've fed her as often as she'll let me during the day, can I let her just sleep as much as she wants at night? Or do I need to set my alarm and try to get 2 or 3 nursings into her between like 11PM and 6AM. Can you tell I'm sleep deprived??

It makes sense to me that if she's hungry she will wake up at night, right?? I mean, she's not a newborn anymore that will sleep through her hunger. Right? But then the panicky mom in me says, "nurse the baby, nurse the baby, she's gonna starve!!"

This baby makes me feel like I know NOTHING about nursing.

I'm getting ready to start solids and I don't know whether I'm relieved or anxious. With my 1st, I nursed her before every solid meal was offered and really tried to fill her up and didn't even start til she was 8 months old. Either some little calories of avocado will help take the edge off and maybe some of the pressure off her, or it will make her lose interest even more???

I really try not to pump, but every once in a while like last weekend when she went 7 hours, I did. I pumped at 3 hours on one breast and got 5 oz. in like 3 minutes. No wonder she hates nursing so much.

Please help me find my peace of mind again.

Thank you!

Default Re: Dreamfeeding my striking 6 month old

I don't know a lot about all this yet. My baby girl is 4 months and although she is my 3rd she is the only one who latched on. It sounds like you have OS/OALD, we have the same problem. Sometimes I let the initial spray go into a rag and if she gets fussy while this happens I will spray her lips. Sometimes it makes her laugh. If I am very full I will pump a little bit before I feed her if she is willing to wait

As to how often she is feeding I would say if diapers are good let her feed on demand. I have founds that our days can be very different. Sometimes I feel as if she has barely ate that day other times she seems to never get enough. If it was me I wouldn't mess with her night schedule, let her sleep so you can also sleep. If you are worried about the 7 hour stretch during the day I would either offer once or twice during that time frame and if she doesn't want it let her be. If you are worried about your supply or uncomfortable do a quick pumping session during those 7 hours.

I hope this helps. My new favorite piece of advice is that you are her mom and YOU know what's best for your baby. Sometimes we don't fit in the specified norms, as long as she is happy and healthy I would think she is nursing as often she needs to as long as you are following her cues.

Good luck and I hope you get some sleep
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Sounds exactly like my 3 month old DD. She has been refusing to nurse while awake for 3-4 weeks now. My OS seems to be under control, but the OALD is still an issue. It comes down so fast it hurts...and there are multiple letdowns per feed, especially on the left side. She nurses beautifully at night....and yes, I've been waking her up to feed. She will sometimes go a 4-5 hour stretch and that's as long as I'll let her since feedings during the day are so stressful. And yep, I have *that* toddler as well. Just as I've finally jumped thru all the hoops to get her to sleep, slip the nipple into her mouth and get her to suck.....then he comes crashing into the room....uggg. It is so hard to pick up on her hunger cues, because she'll be violently sucking on her hands, etc...acting fussy but as soon as I even go to offer, she is screaming and pushing away. I'm not trying to hijack your post, just wanted to let you know you are not alone and I hope this settles for both of us. (I pm'd you too mama).

I think that if your LO is nursing every 2-3 hours all night long, then that crazy 6-7 hour stretch during the day is no big deal. If baby gets all her calories during the night, she can spend the day playing! I think that your goal should be to try to get her to nurse more during the day, and not go to extreme lengths trying to get her to nurse at night. If she wakes, nurse her (of course!) but don't start setting your alarm and wake her to nurse. I think it would be to your benefit if she woke hungry and ready to eat.

Suggestions:
    - nurse side-lying in a dark room to trick baby into thinking it's nighttime and time to eat
    - keep quantities of solid food very small when you start solids
    - don't worry about baby's weight if she drops some percentiles on the charts. That's normal in the second half of the first year. Worry only if baby seems unhealthy or begins to drop OFF the charts.
    - if baby routinely goes long stretches during the day without nursing, consider pumping to keep supply during those times
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We would all let a child sleep without waking them for 6-7hours at night at 6months old and not bat an eye. So WHERE that stretch of time comes in a 24hour period is not important. As far as letting her sleep, that's trickier. Would doing that affect your over all number of feeds in 24hours? I almost want to tell you it is so that you can get all the rest you can....because sometime in the next month her nigh wakings are bound to INCREASE due to teething pain. In fact, I am wondering if nursing to relieve teething pain is going to be what brings you out of this strike. Her desire to get relief from teething pain overriding her frustration at OALD and slow flow. So NOT feeding her every 2-3hours at night....is that what she IS doing naturally right now? Or do you set an alarm right now?

Way too lazy for formula

When my daughter was on an extended strike I definitely nursed her every 2-3 hrs at night and those would always be her best sessions (when I was weighing her before and after every nursing, at least I know that and assume it stayed consistent). But it's a good point, are you setting an alarm at night or is it just kind of happening when she nuzzles up to you or however she tells you she's ready. I would try not to stress about a longer stretch during the day if she's nursing that much during the day and as for getting enough, I think if her energy level is good and she is active as usual, then she's probably getting enough. The one time my daughter was truly starving, she was very sleepy and had noticeably fewer wet diapers.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ryanandjoshsmom View Post
    Sounds exactly like my 3 month old DD. She has been refusing to nurse while awake for 3-4 weeks now. My OS seems to be under control, but the OALD is still an issue. It comes down so fast it hurts...and there are multiple letdowns per feed, especially on the left side. She nurses beautifully at night....and yes, I've been waking her up to feed. She will sometimes go a 4-5 hour stretch and that's as long as I'll let her since feedings during the day are so stressful. And yep, I have *that* toddler as well. Just as I've finally jumped thru all the hoops to get her to sleep, slip the nipple into her mouth and get her to suck.....then he comes crashing into the room....uggg. It is so hard to pick up on her hunger cues, because she'll be violently sucking on her hands, etc...acting fussy but as soon as I even go to offer, she is screaming and pushing away. I'm not trying to hijack your post, just wanted to let you know you are not alone and I hope this settles for both of us. (I pm'd you too mama).
    Thank you!! It does help to know someone can relate. And yes, I sometimes feel like my OS is under control and I'm so scared to pump in case her 5 or 6 hour long stretches are helping to regulate. But my letdown is also painful. Is that not normal? It depends on the time of day and how tired she is and her mood on how she responds. She rarely screams and pushes away anymore. Now, she just rolls to her belly. I have two letdowns also. The 1st one is painful, not toe curling, but just intense, the second one is almost unnoticeable, I just hear her swallowing more often. Are multiple letdowns also a sign of OS or OALD??

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think that if your LO is nursing every 2-3 hours all night long, then that crazy 6-7 hour stretch during the day is no big deal. If baby gets all her calories during the night, she can spend the day playing! I think that your goal should be to try to get her to nurse more during the day, and not go to extreme lengths trying to get her to nurse at night. If she wakes, nurse her (of course!) but don't start setting your alarm and wake her to nurse. I think it would be to your benefit if she woke hungry and ready to eat.

Suggestions:
    - nurse side-lying in a dark room to trick baby into thinking it's nighttime and time to eat
    - keep quantities of solid food very small when you start solids
    - don't worry about baby's weight if she drops some percentiles on the charts. That's normal in the second half of the first year. Worry only if baby seems unhealthy or begins to drop OFF the charts.
    - if baby routinely goes long stretches during the day without nursing, consider pumping to keep supply during those times
    OKay, I will work on all of this. I'm not sure how to get her to nurse more during the day. Maybe just try to nurse her twice during one nap?? And continue to offer throughout the day like I've been doing. I offer side-lying, but I have to pull her thumb out to slip my nipple in. It's like her defense.

On the solids, for my situation, do you think purees where I control the amount would be best??? Or BLS, and just let her play with and gnaw on say, one little slice of avocado?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Would doing that affect your over all number of feeds in 24hours?
    Yes, it would. It is how I get 8. I've been recording them for 3 months and generally from 7PM - 7AM, I nurse her 4, sometimes even 5 times.

I am wondering if nursing to relieve teething pain is going to be what brings you out of this strike.
    She's got two teeth now, and I might be NUTSO but I think she's getting her 12 month molars next! I pray you're right!!

So NOT feeding her every 2-3hours at night....is that what she IS doing naturally right now? Or do you set an alarm right now?
    I don't actually know. Sometimes she is waking up, or maybe the alarm is waking her up?? Either way, she's just really kinda stirring, not fully alert. We co-sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    are you setting an alarm at night
    yes, setting the alarm

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    as for getting enough, I think if her energy level is good and she is active as usual, then she's probably getting enough. The one time my daughter was truly starving, she was very sleepy and had noticeably fewer wet diapers.
    She's downright HYPER. Never stops moving. Gave herself a blister from hopping in the Jumperoo for 10 minutes while I made breakfast today. She has two settings: High and Off. She is also hitting all her milestones. She is skinny tho. But the pedi thinks she's doing great.