Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bottle suggestions help!

Default bottle suggestions help!

I have a 10 week old and will be going back to work in 2 weeks. :-(

For the last 2 weeks we've tried her on different bottles of pumped milk. We've tried Breastflow, Playtex Vent Air, mOmma, and Advent. Breastflow and Playtex she won't even try to really suck on. Just holds the nipple in her mouth and looks really confused - she'll gum it a bit but that's about it. The mOmma she can drink from but she curls her top lip under. She doesn't do this with me or with a pacifer (Soothie brand). The Advent she seems to latch on the best with (still curls her lip a little but not as bad as with the mOmma). The problem is that even with the slowest flow nipple it's too much milk for her. She will turn red in the face, gag, and have milk flowing out her mouth.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might work? Trying out all these different bottles is expensive! Thanks for your help!

Default Re: bottle suggestions help!

There is a soothie brand bottle, but it doesn't sound like she has an issue latching onto the bottles. How are you holding the bottles? Is she laying down? Have you gone back and tried the breastflow again?

Sorry to have so many questions - my babies didn't want the bottle at all, so my experiences are more in line with that.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

We've mostly tried reclining her back and putting her in her bouncy chair. She latches to the Advent ok. I tried the Breastflow a few times and no luck. I looked into the soothie brand bottle b/c that seemed perfect but they apparently discontinued it. :-(

Have you seen the kellymom page about paced bottle feeding? http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/
    Tracie

Mommy to

Yes. We've followed those suggestions.

I had a hard time finding a bottle that my ODDwould take. I tried a dozen of different ones (or should I say that daycare did). The one that worked best was playtex drop ins but the latex nipple. Be patient. When we thought we found her preferred bottle it would change again. It took two weeks.

Also, some babies will not accept bottle if mommy is around. Not sure if you are around or not while trying the bottle.

Ok, I've added Dr. Brown, tommee tippee, and Playtex drop ins with latex nipple to the mix with no luck. She went to the babysitter yesterday for a half day and DD cried the whole time from hunger. I don't know what to do! How long does it take for a baby to get used to a bottle? Do we need to pick one and just stick with it? The "if she's hungry she will eat from the bottle" clearly didn't work yesterday! I go back to work on Wednesday so am starting to freak out.

Here are some links for alternative feeding methods:

alternatives to bottles

tools for feeding
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Is her issue still the same? That she will latch onto the bottle and then gets upset when the milk goes in her mouth?
    Tracie

Mommy to

It kind of seems like there are two different things going on. She doesn't seem to know what to do with the nipple. She gums it and looks at you really confused. Sometimes she will latch on to it (a poor latch though) like maybe it is her pacifier. Then when milk does come out, it seems like it's just coming out because of gravity, not from her actually drinking from it. Then she will kind of sputter and gag. Like she doesn't know it's milk and she should swallow it. I hope that makes sense! I'm not sure if that's because the only artificial nipple she gets is the pacifier and milk doesn't come out of it so she's confused. And also, she doesn't latch right and makes a lot of the "kissy" sounds when she is trying to figure out what to do.