Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling overwhelmed and needing reassurance

Default Feeling overwhelmed and needing reassurance

Today is one of those days where I feel like all I do is nurse nurse nurse. My little guy will be 4 weeks tomorrow, so I know that's how it's supposed to be, but I feel like I'll never be able to leave our house. I tried taking him with me to run errands, and it ended with me trying to feed him in the parking lot, stopping him before he got all his comfort nursing in, and him crying himself to sleep on the way home. Some days I feel like it's so stressful to do anything but stay home.

Default Re: Feeling overwhelmed and needing reassurance

Try nursing in a sling. It can take some practice in the beginning, but it is extremely liberating! It's very discreet and frees you up to do what you need to do throughout the day.

In addition, it really does get better. I had a really tough time of it the first 8 weeks, but my baby became way more efficient at nursing very quickly after that. You're getting there. Just keep up the good work!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Look at it this way: you actually got out of the house with a 4 week old infant! That is a huge accomplishment. A lot of moms with month-old babies are still struggling to brush their teeth and shower on a daily basis.

This is all going to change so soon. Just nurse, nurse, nurse, and do your best to hang in there until your baby grows up a bit. Has he developed a nap routine yet, or is he still all over the place with sleep?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for your responses!

He sleeps really well at night, usually only wakes up two or three times. So I know that is part of the reason he's attached to me during the day. The last two days he's taken naps around 10am and 2pm. But I know that can change any time... Really I know everything is so variable, but it's hard to remember that sometimes!

I've tried putting him in a sling, and he does not like it. He was in it twice when he was 2 weeks old and did fine, but lately he cries when I try to slide him in. I'm not super efficient with it yet, so I'm sure that's part of the problem. Do you think time of the day matters? I've only tried in the mornings, but evenings are when he gets fussy.

Mine was never crazy about the Moby. I didn't have the Ergo when he was tiny, but I absolutely love it! Maybe you could also take your baby to a store to try some on if you can't borrow some.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

try when baby and you are in good moods - rested, fed, happy. and the SECOND you get baby in, start moving. walk. even better to do this outside. walking, as briskly as you can, is better than swaying and bouncing.

when DS was little, i would put him in, and he would often fuss, and i'd take the dog around the block, about a 10 min walk. if he was still fussing by the end of that walk, i reevaluated - sometime i took him out, sometimes i could tell he was about to conk out. almost always, for the first maybe 5 months, that would get me a solid 2-3 hour nap midday.

good luck!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I don't know if this helps or not but my LO was feeding every hour for about half an hour until 6 weeks!

she was constantly at the breast - I just put my feet up and enjoyed it, got myself ready for the day - drank cups of decafe tea, got a plate of grapes, cheese and crackers, lots of water and watched movies or read books - I did take her out and yep she would feed all the time and it became quite an effort, so I decided to just stay at home - I went crazy but she didn't, they are so young and need their mummas comfort, they do grow out of it, she is now 8 weeks and a wonderful little girl and not as attached as she was, I have a moby wrap which she doesn't mind but it's kinda annoying and she's not always comfortable in it - not to mention hot - so I just knew every day that I had to prepare in advance, it's tough but it goes so fast...sounds like you're doing an amazing job - so deep breathes and know that it passes!
    Besides this way your milk supply will be amazing!

Its still early days. 4-6 weeks is a rough time! They are growing so fast and want to nurse all the time. I found it helpful to just make a minimal to do list for the week. Some days were better than others. I would show DH my list and he would help out where he could. By minimal I mean: shower, eat, groceries. These days pass by so fast. I know it doesn't feel like it. But in one year you will be looking back longing for those snuggling days on the couch. Take this time to relax and bond with your baby. What support system do you have? Family? Friends? If they offer to help, ask them to bring a meal or do a quick vacuum of your house or wash a load of dishes. Its hard to accept help, but people don't offer for no reason.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Just wanted to add that I recently met a mom who had just left her house for the first time in 3 months so, wow, 4 weeks! .

Practice with the carriers, and different types, around the house. I felt silly at first but we both got used to them & were very comfortable out and about. See if there are any second hand children's stores, there are usually all sorts & way less expensive. My son wasn't a fan of the moby after about 1 week old, and the infant insert for the Ergo carrier got too hot, we resorted to a folded receiving blanket. You're not going to like them all & neither is baby.

And also have to agree with everyone else, take your time at 4 weeks, let everything around you just be, it's much more worth it in the end! But, I can relate to going stir-crazy in the beginning! If they're available to, ask the grandparents to do the errand running. Most are elated at the chance that they can help.

Thanks everyone. We tried the Moby yesterday, and it went great. Of course today he wanted no part of it! My husband has been great this whole time, I think some of my anxious feelings come from my in-laws. Our nephew is almost 2 years old, and my SIL was all about the Baby Wise method, so her and my MIL always make comments like 'oh he's hungry again?' or they'll ask when was the last time he ate. Plus my guy is one of those super alert newborn and doesn't just nap easily, so he gets cranky and over tired. There are some days when I want to hole up in the house just the 3 of us and some days when I feel trapped like I'll be stuck there for forever!