Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hand-expression

Default Hand-expression

Going on 30+ months of collective breastfeeding experience, I'm wondering if there are other techniques for hand-expression. I can usually manage one let-down and get 4-5 oz out (that's total from both breasts), but it takes FOREVER. I've watched a few videos and read a bit, but I figured I should tap the collective wisdom of the forum. What are your favorite resources/techniques for hand-expression?

It seems like lots of nights I am defaulting to hand-expression because I'm too lazy to set-up the pump.

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Hand-expression

4-5 OZ from hand expression sounds great. i feel like its really about relaxing and learning your body. if you have watched videos and are getting that much it sounds like you've got it down.

for me i still feel i get more faster with the pump if i am doing compressions and a few min of hand expression at the end, even though the set up is annoying it is fast.

do you have a hands free bra? what kind of pump?

haven't found a hands-free bra that I like and I have the Medela Freestyle, so it's a hands-free set-up if I remember the bra clips. thanks for the encouragement!

I have the simple wishes one. Honestly at first I didn't think I liked it but really it is great. Its not like a regular bra so for me I think I just had to realize that. I love it!

I've tried using a pump however it does not feel natural to me; therefore I always hand express. Alternate from one to the other.
    Taylor Don 10/24/98-11/22/98
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

Simple wishes gets my vote too The only other one I wish I had was the one that is a snug band that goes under your regular bra, so you leave it on all day, but I can't remember its name. And with my luck, it would give me a plugged duct.

Hand expression has never worked for me. It makes me too sore, probably because I have rather dense breast and I have to get on them to get the milk out. But if I compress while using a pump, I get a whole lot more than with just pumping and way more than just hand expressing.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

i find, bare with me here, if you shake em b4 you hand express, that helps. trust me, when i started, i bruised myself, so i learned some tricks, drink lots also
    Taylor Don 10/24/98-11/22/98
    Katie Elena 8/24/11