Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nipple shield causing Bad pain... makes me want to quit BF

Default nipple shield causing Bad pain... makes me want to quit BF

My baby (now 3 weeks) was never able to sucessfully latch on to my breast. We tried for sevral days before my nipples were cracked, bleeding and becoming infected. I was given a nipple shield by the hospital and have since purchased several others. When I use them they cause serious pain not just at the initial latch, but sometimes throughout the entire feeding session. It feels like a hard pinch. Also while she is having an adequate number of wet diapers every day she was not back at her birth by her two week appt and I am worried that we are doing something wrong. She takes the whole nipple in her mouth to the base, but then it gets distorted at the bottom, the plasic get kind of wrinked while she is sucking. Is that normal and do you guys have any tips for me because this pain is almost unbarable.

Default Re: nipple shield causing Bad pain... makes me want to quit

Although they are often prescribed for sore nipples, and in some cases help a bit with healing, nipple shields are NOT typically reccomended for a painful latch. A latch is painful due to baby being unable to achieve a deep, comfortable latch, and nipple sheilds are not helpful for this usually.

If you can latch baby without the sheild, stop uising the sheild, it sounds like it is not helping and is possibly hurting. Try laid back positioning and different latch techniques-what have you tried?

It would be best if you had some hands on assistance, someone who will spend time with you and help you figure out latch, examine you and baby for anatomical issues, etc and not just hand you a bandaid and send you on your way.

Can you see a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) for a one on one, at least 1 hour long appt? Make sure it is someone expericed with working with moms on painful latch.

If you cannot bf baby due to pain, keep up milk supply by pumping at least 10 times a day if baby is not nursing while you get help.

How often is baby pooping? Poops are the best indicator all is well with baby getting enough (aside from weight gain.) Was your dr. concerned about the weight gain?
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; May 18th, 2012 at 02:19 PM.

My Dr. was concerned about weight gain since she is not back at her birth weight yet. I do not have a pump, but I am working on getting one tonight. She is pooping only once a day. I was in the hospital last week for a uternie infection from her birth and the whole time I was in there she only pooped once in a three day period. She is however having 10-14 wet diapers a day.

We have a lactation consultant here in town, but only one and she is very hard to get a hold of. I have left several messages and hope that she calls me back eventually...

Any local Lll? Or another LC closeish? Of course you can keep working on this on your own but once things get so bad I really like to see moms get competent help. I am on phone so can't do links but yes look at Bn info above and look up breast sandwich latch technique and Ameda latch video etc. there is no one single correct way to latch use what you find as tools not rules. Lots of moms struggle with painful latch and go on to bf happily it is almost always a solvable issue. If you cannot nurse or ban
    Baby needs supplements consider an alternative feeding method if you do use bottles see bottlefeeding the breastfed baby pdf on this site. I am sure many here have suggestions hang in there.

Has anyone evaluated this baby for tongue tie? The wrinkling of the nipple shield makes me wonder.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!