Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My 9week old suddenly would not nurse!

Default My 9week old suddenly would not nurse!

Help! My LO suddenly would scream, cry inconsolably for hours when I try to feed him. This is especially so at night, after 9pm to the next morning. He would act like my boob is disgusting and screams at the sight of it as soon as I put my boob into his mouth, before he has even latched on. He is obviously hungry, sucking his fists frantically, but will not take my nipple. He would feed at 6pm, then would not feed till 12am, and then 5am. I tried to get him to feed in between those long stretches but he would scream his head off!
    In the day, he is more willing to feed but his intervals are getting longer and he feeds shorter. For the past 2 weeks he's been feeding every 1-1.5 hours, around 10 min per feed. Now he feeds 2-3 hours, around 5 min per feed. It's like he's going through a reverse growth spurt.
    This situation has started 2 days ago when he had a vaccination. I'm not sure if they are related.
    I'm exclusively bfing.
    This is breaking my heart as I'm worried sick that he does not get enough food. Not to mention those middle of the night endless screamings.
    His diaper outputs seem to be ok, but I'll need to observe longer to deduce any changes.
    It should not be oald as he screams even before he latches on! I don't think I have it anyway.
    There is no change to my diet. I do not take dairy.
    What's happening to him and will he latch happily again like we used to?
    Thank you, I'm extremely distressed.

Default Re: My 9week old suddenly would not nurse!

I'd love to know what others have to say as well, my daughter does this also - have you tried swinging him with your arms and doing a cheeky swing towards your nipple and acting as if you don't care whether he latches or not? I tried that the other night and my daughter latched on during on swing which was great! She's 8 weeks nearly 9 but between 6 and 12 she does exactly the same thing sometimes I'm so desperate I even squeeze some milk into her mouth but she still doesn't take it -sometimes I find feeding her straight up works - really hard to explain but i hold her as if I"m burping her over my shoulder and then slide her down to the nipple, she takes it then as well - but she always pulls off after the letdown so maybe they are less hungry at night? I have no idea really but I've found ways to make her latch but its' normally after 45 minutes of her screaming when I even act like I'm going to feed her - it's so bizarre isn't it!
    Don't let it get to you though - deep calm breathes and just find different ways to introduce your nipple to him or wait for 30 minutes then try again - funny thing is is that if I give her a bottle (EBM) she wont take that either - she'll let the milk drip into her mouth but she wont take the nipple on the bottle. So I don't know!
    sorry this is so long!
    x

Love to hear other peoples replies too though!

He just did a 4 hour stretch on me! The last feed he drank only abt 5 min max. Now he's too famished to reject mommy....
    I feel so hopeless. My nipples have never failed to comfort him in all occasions. Now it seems like they are the only thing that sets him off!
    I tried skin to skin. But my nipples drip milk like crazy when I hold him n he cries. So I'll at least need to have my bra on with breast pads.
    My sister said her son went on a nipple strike too when he was almost 3 months. Turned out he was teething. That's super early! Well I don't think our 9 week olds are teething. Can they?

Actually, babies can be born with teeth, and teeth can begin moving around in the gums several months before they erupt. However, in this situation I would be more apt to blame side-effects from the vaccination, an ear infection, or more probably, simple development. Many babies go through a colicky phase at around this time, and the fussiness can be extreme, particularly in the later hours of the day.

Some things to try when baby is fussy but refuses to nurse:
    - warm bath
    - trip outside
    - motion (car, stroller, sling, swing)
    - white noise
    - calm house (lights, tv, and stereo down/off)
    - closeness (wear baby in a sling)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I almost feel in a way that it is normal, I really worried about it for a while but I did speak to a woman at LLL and she did say it sounds normal and she may have reflux or colic - and the swinging definitely helps her - there could be so many things as well and also my LO only feeds for 5 mins generally so for me 5 mins is great - and a let down normally happens in 5 mins so he's getting at least 1.5oz right and he wont starve himself either it's only a small stretch of fussiness and then if he's anything like my little ones he's fine again early hours of morning (if he doesn't sleep through or the next morning) if his diapers arn't as wet during the day then I'd be concerned but I kinda think it sounds normal - I've spoken to a few mothers that have had it and they always tell me the first 3 months are the hardest.

Just don't do what i did and then fear 6pm ... I think babies can sense it and the anxiety made it worse for her - I would always apprehensively give her the breast and then stare at her like a mad woman to see if she would take it or cry!

I'm a new mom so I'm only going on my 8 weeks of experience which isn't much but I think you're doing amazingly and like most moms have said ... you're doing what's right for you bubba and you're obviously giving him so much of that other stuff called love so he's very lucky and at least during this fussy time he knows he's being cared for and you're concerned through it which can only be calming and secure for him - so deep breaths and know it's a phase.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tanpixie View Post

Just don't do what i did and then fear 6pm ... I think babies can sense it and the anxiety made it worse for her - I would always apprehensively give her the breast and then stare at her like a mad woman to see if she would take it or cry!
    Exactly! Now I have 6pm anxiety attack every day! I seem to need to add 9pm-5am anxiety attack to the mix!

Ok now ds is back to his hourly feed this morning. So glad he's finally eating... Babies are mysterious things...