Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: heartbroken

Default heartbroken

For the first time my baby girl, 4 months old started crying when I tried to feed her. She cried so hard it broke my heart, I couldn't bring my self to lay her down and let her cry it out. So I held her and tried everything I could think of, I had to ask my mom to come in and take her, she finally fell asleep. I really hope this is a one time thing and isn't a sign of what's to come...
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: heartbroken

Oh Momma, sometimes our babes are beside themselves just because. Offer the breast, offer your arms, use your voice and be there as you can. It's hard, but you did the right thing.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

My son was a real crab from about 4 months until about 5 months. He was an absolute monster for about 2 weeks of that, and gradually went back to his happy little self over the next 2 weeks. 4 months is very commonly a tough time to be a little baby. I think at least a small part of it is that they are becoming much more alert and don't quite know what to do with themselves.

However, this was only one night. Maybe she had a tummy ache, or a headache, or something like that and was just unhappy about it. We all have nights like that. She may be perfectly fine tomorrow.

Try not to stress yourself out too much about these things. Whether it was one bad night or the start of an unpleasant phase, it will pass and all you can do is try to comfort her through it.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I remember the first time I was refused, and it was right around 4 months, too! It hurts. It feels like this tiny creature that does nothing but vie for your attention has suddenly rejected you. I'm so sorry. Teeth are moving, could be headache, there's no telling. You did the right thing, never let her go & called someone to help. In a few days you'll be in awe of one another again.

It could be teething - maybe try tylenol?...And if it keeps up, definitely check for an ear infection! The one time Joe had a "nursing strike" it was because he was in pain with an ear infection and nursing hurt him. He had a very low fever but no other symptoms, so it took me a while to realize that we needed to take him in.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thank you everyone. She let me have her back and even nursed, I am hoping this is a fluke and wont happen again. Elivia has been such a happy baby that it hit hard when she started crying especially when it only got worse. Thanks again for listening
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Hate to say it but it will happen again. As she grows, teethes, hits milestones, etc. Trust in the fact that you're not letting her go through it alone and it will pass.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and