Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone else have one breast more productive than the other?

Exclamation Anyone else have one breast more productive than the other?

So lovely Mummys,

My right breast seems to be a more efficient breast all round with milk supply.

When I pump after she feeds I can still get about 2 oz with the other I'm lucky to have half an OZ.

If I pump the left breast when she hasn't fed on it I still only get about 1oz (if i'm lucky) .... and no let down where as the right just lets down anywhere - what's even more confusing is that if she's feeding on the right the left has a simultaneous let down that is amazing - so much milk comes out - yet I don't let down again if I change her to the left so she gets a bit frustrated.

Does this sound normal?

Is there anyway I can encourage the left to make more milk or is it just normal to have one a bit more efficient than the other?

Thanks - oh also is there anyway to increase your number of let downs?

sorry I have so many BF questions!!

Default Re: Anyone else have one breast more productive than the oth

It's totally normal to see a difference in production between breasts. My left always produces significantly more (up to 3-4 ounces at times) than my right. However, I don't know that it is entirely normal not to get a letdown in one breast. I wonder if you need a different size horn on that breast. I would try. You can do compressions to help get more milk out as well.

The only way that I get more letdowns when I pump is to pump longer. I put a movie on my iPad, have a snack, and let the pump do it's thing.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tanpixie View Post
    what's even more confusing is that if she's feeding on the right the left has a simultaneous let down that is amazing - so much milk comes out - yet I don't let down again if I change her to the left so she gets a bit frustrated.
    Oh, and this happens to me all the time. Even at 18 months. Mine got used to it though, so it hasn't been an issue in a really long time. You can always switch sides back and forth as much as you need if she gets too frustrated on any given side.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

with PPs. It's very normal to have one breast be more productive. I doubt any of us are truly symmetrical. It's just more noticeable for some women.

Just because you're not letting down TWICE on the left side doesn't mean you're not making plenty of milk, you know? What if you start your baby on the left? What if you massage the breast while she nurses, to help her get more milk? She may be less frustrated if you do breast compressions. And the more she sucks on that side, the more that side will produce. If she's giving up on it early every time, it's no wonder you make less milk on that side.

This does highlight one reason for increasing asymmetry, though. Babies often prefer the "juicier" side. And that preference, in itself, can reinforce the difference in supply.

You can try to keep things more even by encouraging your baby to nurse on your lower producing side as much as possible, by starting on that side, or by offering it a lot at night for comfort nursing, etc.

My left side was always the great producer, and I think I actually subsconciously reinforced this, because I prefer to nurse on the left, which leaves my right arm (I'm right-handed) free to do other things. So also think about whether you may subtly prefer your right side, which can contribute to the asymmetry as well. (Of course, as mentioned above, some difference is normal - but I also think some of the differences probably arise from the baby's or the mom's habits.)

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My left side was always the great producer, and I think I actually subsconciously reinforced this, because I prefer to nurse on the left, which leaves my right arm (I'm right-handed) free to do other things.

I am left handed so maybe this makes complete sense!?
    I will try nursing her more on the left side - and she does a lot of comfort nursing on the left just for some reason it doesn't produce as much but glad to hear others have it as well!

Me! My left side is the star producer. When I pump my left always produces more than double the right. My left breast has always been bigger. My left eye is bigger too. In fact my left everything is bigger!
    In the early days my Lo wld not even take my right breast. So I always pump more on the right. Mine is a double pump so I will continue to pump my right breast when I have switched off the left. I think my right has increased in supply (though still not as much as the left) and Lo is willing to take the right now.