Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Easier to drink EBM in a bottle when sick?

Default Easier to drink EBM in a bottle when sick?

My 7 month old daughter has RSV and is having a really hard time nursing. We're doing all of the things we know of to clear her nose, but she's still super congested. Her diapers aren't as wet as usual, but I don't think she's dehydrated (yet). However, my breasts are definitely not being emptied well enough and I'm going to need to do some pumping to keep up supply (and prevent mastitis, which I'm somewhat prone to). My question: should I offer her a few small bottles of the milk I'm pumping, after trying to nurse? She doesn't seem to be hungry (doc said appetite is often down with RSV), but I want to make sure she's nourished and hydrated. This is known as a nasty virus. She's never had a bottle, so I don't even know if she would take one. Just wondering if sucking from a bottle would be easier for her right now...

Default Re: Easier to drink EBM in a bottle when sick?

I should add that my concern is bottle preference. My daughter is not a voracious nurser (very distractible, extremely laid-back about hunger, etc.), so I fear she'll prefer a bottle if offered one...

I went ahead and offered some milk in a random bottle I must have recieved as a gift a put back in a cabinet. She just chewed on it and didn't seem to get any milk out. I think I'll try again later because, even with steamy showers, saline/suctioning her nose, eucalyptus oil massage, etc, she just can barely nurse. For example, she was at the breast probably 3-4 times overnight and I still had hard breasts this am and pumped 9 ounces in 10 minutes.

If she continues not to take the bottle, I guess other options are syringing or an open cup? Would a sippy without the valve allow her to "chew" the milk out?

I'm also nursing her as upright as possible and doing compressions to get the milk flowing as fast as possible.

I don't think sucking from a bottle would necessarily be any easier than nursing. She might drink easier from an open cup or something, though. Something that would let her breath through her mouth while she's taking sips.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks. I tried the bottle again (wouldn't take it) and an open cup (I used a medicine cup - 1/2 ounce size) and she didn't really take to it. I'm sure it takes more than one try to master that, though...?

Shoot breast milk into her nose via a eye dropper. It should work to clear her up long enough to eat.

Way too lazy for formula